RingCentral compatibility with Microsoft Office 2013 and 365

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
I just found this out. Office 2013 came out in January and now it's almost September with no update?
Photo of Carey Vandenberg

Carey Vandenberg

• 272 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Desiree

Desiree, Alum

• 7,150 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Carey,

I'm sorry that we don't have compatibility yet. 

I'll keep you posted as I hear more.

Thanks.

Desiree
Photo of Joseph Lane

Joseph Lane

• 234 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
OK, I guess this is why when I download an old fax or something that my OUTLOOK gets rebooted and the ringcentral add-on will not stay checked in my outlook manager!! Any ideas about possible compatibility dates??
Photo of Desiree

Desiree, Alum

• 7,090 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Joseph,

I'm sorry but I don't have any dates. But, I can confirm this is one of our high priority requests.

Desiree
Photo of J. A. Restucci

J. A. Restucci

• 144 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
With all due respect Desiree, if this was truly a "high priority" then the release we received today (3 months after you posted this) should have addressed the problem and it doesn't. Microsoft Office 2013 went RTM on October 11, 2012, this means RingCentral Software Engineers have had over a year to produce a fix, actually, probably longer, as a Microsoft Partner, we have been using Office 2013 for a year and a half. Sorry for the negative post; however, like J. Rob (below) a basic need for businesses is communication and it's unfair that RingCentral is touting that they support Office when in fact they only support legacy Office products.
Photo of David Ohen

David Ohen

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Subscribing for updates. I also need this.

Without it I'm...
Photo of Ken johnson

Ken johnson

• 480 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Me too. We have been on Office 365 and thus 2013 for months now.
Photo of J. Rob Schild

J. Rob Schild

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Guys, I can't believe you have failed so far to bring forth a solution to this most basic of needs. In your own literature, you tout functionality with Microsoft Office/Outlook; but you have failed to resolve connectivity with Microsoft's latest version, 2013.

The fact that it is now September and there is still no fix doesn't represent Ring Central favorably or show a sense of true value for your customers.
Photo of Michael C. Staeb

Michael C. Staeb

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I just signed up for RingCentral today and was very surprised to find this out. I have been using Office 365 almost since I moved my office home to be independent and this could be a deal breaker for me keeping RingCentral. I'll be paying attention to the 30-day deadline for my money-back guarantee.
Photo of J. A. Restucci

J. A. Restucci

What's a shame is RingCentral just released a new version of the SoftPhone (5.16.001.50) and it still does not support Office 2013. Come on folks, what is the hold up?
Photo of J. Rob Schild

J. Rob Schild

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm using 5.16.001.50

There is now some compatibility with Office 2013. It took some time to get this to work by speaking with a very nice lady on the phone who lives in Manila.

My contacts are loading; but dialing out from Outlook... not working. And forget using the Internet Explorer addin; it highlights almost every number it sees.

I'm still waiting on the port-forwarding so that the caller ID will work when someone calls my company office line. I was told this would be fixed in a week; and it's been almost 3 months.

It's like going back in time and using Skype.
Photo of J. A. Restucci

J. A. Restucci

Thanks J. Rob. To be honest, I was just venting after spending another session of scouring the Internet for help with this issue.

I am not sure how you got yours to work but mine still shows Office Not Detected.

http://screen.axcess.us/t/2013-11-28_...

If you want to share I am willing to try anything at this point. If you don't want to do it publicly, you can find my contact info at http://jimr.me

Regards,
Jim
Photo of Eli Whitney

Eli Whitney

• 276 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Everything is working for me. About 2 weeks ago I got a message from my softphone that an update was available and now Outlook 2013 integration works. This is true for all three computers in the office (Win 7 Pro, Win 8.1 pro, Win 8 pro).
Photo of J. A. Restucci

J. A. Restucci

Thanks Eli! Yes we completely removed the RingCentral Software including any leftover registry keys and reinstalled an we now can connect to Office 365 Outlook 2013.
Photo of steve

steve

• 270 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Softphone is still not integrated with Outlook 2013 like it was with Outlook 2010. Unfortunately, it has been so long since it has worked correctly, I don't remember all of the features. However, using RingOut, I used to be able to start typing a contact's name and the number would appear. That still doesn't work. About the only thing that does work is when a call come in the contact's name appears in the Call Controller. When exploring the Options in Softphone, under Address Book, I can now select Microsoft Office Outlook. Unfortunately, none of the contacts appear (even under "Advance"). And under Microsoft Integration, it still says that Microsoft Office was not detected.... From a functional standpoint, I still do not think it is working correctly.
Photo of J. A. Restucci

J. A. Restucci

Steve I agree wholeheartedly; although I am able to type a contact name and have it query my Outlook 2013 Contact List. I tested it by deleting all of the contacts from the Windows Contacts folder (the work-around) and it does seem to be working. You might want to try what we did and remove it completely, including registry keys and reinstall. As for the Office detection, you are correct, under my options it still says Microsoft Office was not detected.
Photo of steve

steve

J.A. - thanks for the suggestion. After I sent my prior note, I saw your earlier note where you described deleting the registry keys, etc. so I did that. After reinstallation, it seems better but when I type a contact name, queries the wrong set of contacts - apparently those in Windows Contacts (which I do not use). Even though I go into "Contacts" and select the correct "folder," it still doesn't query the right set of names.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Photo of J. A. Restucci

J. A. Restucci

Steve, go into your Windows Contacts folder and select all and delete (don't worry you can always export from Outlook and Import back to the folder). Once you have deleted all the contacts uninstall Softphone and delete any leftover registry keys, restart the system, install SoftPhone, go to options and make sure, you check the box for use Microsoft Outlook under the Address Book settings.

Let me know how you make out.
Photo of steve

steve

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll try uninstalling again. I don't have anything in my Windows Contacts folder (at least the one I could find). I'm running Win8.1 which might be the cause of confusion for Softphone - which seems to insist on looking at the wrong set of contacts..
Photo of anonymous2013

anonymous2013

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I subscribed to RC about 2 months ago. Didn't really use it completely. Thought the problems I had were due to my beginner knowledge level. Then I got Office 365 trial about a month ago, bought it yesterday, and then saw this thread. My problems with RC did get worse about a month ago, but I don't know if it's related to Office or not. Before I uninstall and reinstall, what problems were associated with Office? My problems are lengthy, for example, notifications are not sent to me (only fax status verifications), users can see fax icons but can't open them, the softphone doesn't properly work, call waiting doesn't exist anymore, recording - auto or otherwise - doesn't work... my list goes on. Is any of this related to Office?
Photo of JW Lodge

JW Lodge

• 936 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Bumping this thread....

Has anyone had any luck dialing out of Outlook 2013? You would think that the F6 button would work just by highlighting a contact but that doesn't work as it shows too many numbers. I still don't understand why the Add-ins don't work. I also don't understand why you can't right click on a contact and select 'Dial". My last phone system worked like this.
Photo of GraniteStateColin

GraniteStateColin

• 670 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
If you are selecting something other than a phone number (e.g., an entire contact in Outlook as opposed to just that contact's phone number), Softphone will try to "dial" whatever is selected, and an Outlook contact includes the contact's name, address, etc. This ensures a long nonsense number if that's what's selected when you hit the dial hotkey.

Instead of just selecting the contact and hitting your hotkey, first open or view the contact, then select the phone number (so every digit of the phone number and nothing else is highlighted), and then hit your hotkey. Of course, this is EXACTLY WHY THE MISSING OFFICE INTEGRATION IS A MAJOR PROBLEM. If the integration were working (like it used to back when I had Office 2010), you can just select the contact, then select the contact's phone number to RingOut from the RingCentral Outlook buttons, no need to open the contact, highlight a phone number -- it was a thing of beauty that I miss tremendously.

GraniteStateColin

Still not working for me, with Office 2013 (under the Office 365 payment plan, maybe that's related). Softphone just says that Office is not installed. Interestingly, the contacts syncing with Outlook works fine. None of the other integration features work.

I don't have any Hotkey issues (possibly what JW Lodge is describing). I can highlight a number anywhere and press my hotkey to use RingOut. That's my main workaround for the lack of direct Outlook integration to dial a contact.

I've been around and around with support who have been worse than useless. They have me uninstall Softphone, reinstall, and then it doesn't work and they say they'll get back to me. A week later I call back to check, get apologies, and the process repeats.

GraniteStateColin

But for JW Lodge, if you are selecting something other than a phone number (e.g., an entire contact in Outlook as opposed to just that contact's phone number), Softphone will try to "dial" whatever is selected, and an Outlook contact includes the contact's name, address, etc., ensuring a long nonsense number if that's what's selected when you hit the dial hotkey. Instead of just selecting the contact and hitting your hotkey, first open or view the contact, then select the phone number (so the phone number is highlighted), and then hit your hotkey. Of course, this is EXACTLY WHY THE MISSING OFFICE INTEGRATION IS A MAJOR PROBLEM. If the integration were working (like it used to back when I had Office 2010), you can just select the contact, then select the contact's phone number to RingOut from the RingCentral outlook buttons, no need to open the contact, highlight a phone number -- it was a thing of beauty that I miss tremendously.
Photo of steve

steve

No - it still isn't working. I opened another ticket since all of the marketing materials I could find indicated that Office 2013 was now working with Softfone but that is not true. The initial response to my ticket confirmed that there are still problems using Softfone with Office 2013.

I agree, it used to work well. I don't understand why RC can't rehire the programmers that created that version....
Photo of Kenneth Knightley

Kenneth Knightley

It is now June 19, 2014 and this is still not resolved.  Come on guys I could hire a bunch a high school programmers and have this resolved quicker.  What is the current ETA to a fix being launched?
Photo of Joseph Lane

Joseph Lane

OK, this is my experience as of 6/19/2014. I have read all the posts above. I run Win 8.1, I have Office 2013 PRO. I am running Soft-phone 5.16.001.50 (64-bit). When I click on dial of Soft-phone it opens the dial line with is set to USA(FLAG). If I want I can change it to another country. I don't..I start typing the name of who I want to call first or last name and all valid matches popup, immediately from my Outlook contacts. I select one and dial. Works fine. Of course I have all the preferences set, Outlook address book, all the Microsoft integration options checked etc.  I previously clicked synchronize all my contacts. I also get dial-out  and fax icons when i click on ringcentral on the OUTLOOK top menu bar when I have an email address or name highlighted. Clicking on it will immediately open a RC dial-out or fax session!! Do not know why others are having problems, mine works FINE!! Really guys, for me it's working!! Good Luck!! And no I do not work for RC but I have had their services for almost a decade. Yes sync with Office 2013 was bad when it first appeared but mine is working now!!
Photo of Joseph Lane

Joseph Lane

When I click on the ring-central tab of the menu bar it gives several options, so yeh it's more than one click  but it gives all the options and doesn't assume i want to phone and it's one more click to phone any of the contact filled in numbers or fax. Now when I click on address book as you suggested, I see Microsoft Office Outlook as an option and I have it checked. I do not get the message you are seeing. It is working for me!! Like I said do not know why u are not getting it!!  I used to get that message a few months ago but with all the latest upgrades, I'm good and functioning!!
(Edited)

GraniteStateColin

So if you click on the menu button, select "Options...", then select the "Microsoft Integration" option (below "Audio" and above "Address Book" in the list), what do you see on that page? Note that it is NOT the Address Book integration that is broken. That works fine, it's just a minor part of the total integration we used to have with the prior version of Office.
Photo of Joseph Lane

Joseph Lane

This is what i get, like I said it's working for me. Good Luck!!

(Edited)

GraniteStateColin

That is indeed different from my screen (see above). Perhaps this is a difference between Office 2013 and Office 365, which is basically Office 2013, but maybe RingCentral developers failed to enable support for it. Are you on Office 2013 or 365?

Photo of Joseph Lane

Joseph Lane

I am running configured as I stated above. Win 8.1 Office Pro 2013 and Soft-phone 5.16.001.50 (64-bit). From what I understand of Office 365 is that it is a cloud-based service, different than your previous Office 2010 and you never actually install Office or it's products on your machine. Therefore RC would never find them. Don't think they ever stated 365 would be compatible either, I could be wrong but I don't remember them saying so!!

Kenneth Knightley

So here is the problem.  Too many people are claiming that Office 2013 is not installed as part of the Office 365 service.  That is an incorrect assumption.  You receive a desktop client (that's the legacy software) and you also get a web app (that's the new cloud based application).  Attached is a screen shot of the version of the Outlook desktop client that is installed on my laptop.  I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume RingCentral developers have not subscribed to Office365 and performed a download and installation of Office and there may in fact be a difference.  But to the subscribers it appears the same.  By this screenshot you can see the version of the Outlook desktop client.  Based on this the RC install should work and integrate.  So why then does RC not detect Office as being installed, this has nothing to do with Office365 and the associated web apps - still waiting for this to be resolved.

Kenneth Knightley

Here is an example of a working integration with MS Outlook 2013.  This desktop client is installed as part of the Office 365 subscription.  It would be nice to see RC get caught up to their competition.

Photo of Joseph Lane

Joseph Lane

This is an example of RC integration with MS Outlook 2013. Funny thing is I am running the previous version of OUTLOOK 2013 from May and you are running the June updated module and u still cannot sync!! Strange, but I'm glad mine is working!!
(Edited)

Kenneth Knightley

My theory is a key is installed via Office365 installation.  The softphone is not looking for the proper key and as a result fails to detect MS Office.  I've assigned my developers on this issue.  We are preparing to migrate to a new service in case RC fails to deliver.  As RC has posted this is "under consideration" shows their lack of concern.  It would be one thing if we were discussing legacy products - but clearly we are not.  RC we need resolution ASAP.

GraniteStateColin

RingCentral just released version 6.03.001.50 of SoftPhone, and it still gives the same "Microsoft Office was not detected on your computer. To enable integration with Internet Explorer or Microsoft Outlook Express, please click 'Advanced...'"

Meanwhile, if you try to access the RingCentral web page with the current version of IE (11), which has been out for many months now, the site still tells you that the browser is not supported. It appears to work fine with IE11, so simply recognizing the browser and removing this error would be a trivial fix for them.

RingCentral is obviously taking an intentional anti-Microsoft stance, making it appear that current versions of IE, Office are incomputable with their system. They even refuse to support Windows Phone, while providing apps for iOS and Android. All points to the same conclusion: if you like using MS products, RingCentral is not a good solution.

I see in your picture you had 8x8. How was that? Why are you still with RingCentral? Due to their harsh anti-MS position, as much as I used to love RingCentral, I now want to get my companies to another more professional provider. Any other suggestions for alternatives?

GraniteStateColin

To Joseph Lane -- SoftPhone appears to work with the standalone Office 2013, but not Office 365. This is ridiculous, because it's the same software. RingCentral must have gone out of their way to find a way to make it incompatible with Office 365.
Photo of carolynpepsi

carolynpepsi

• 60 Points
This is my theory - at least for mine:

I have Office365, and thus the Office2013 suite that comes with it. My computer is 64-bit, but, because of the Office365 recommendation, I have the 32-bit office. 32-bit programs are generally saved in the folder "Program Files (x86)" on 64-bit computers, so, in theory, my office suite should be in "Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15", since it is 32-bit and not 64-bit, but the programs are not there. That folder exists, but only with a minimum amount of files. If I go to my start menu, go to my office suite shortcuts, right-click, and select "Open file location", it opens the folder "Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15". This "Program Files" folder is for 64-bit programs. Therefore, as I am downloading the 32-bit version of RingCentral, I believe that it looks for the Office2013 programs in my 32-bit programs folder, but fails to find them, and therefore believes that the programs are not installed.

If this is the case, then the solution for Microsoft would be to not save the programs in the 64-bit programs file, or for Ring Central to look for the programs in the 64-bit programs file.

I am going to see what I can do to get around this.

GraniteStateColin

Interesting. Please let us know if you find a work-around or simple enough solution that even anti-MS RingCentral will go ahead and implement it.