"deliveryMode": {
    "transportType": "WebHook",
    "address": "https://my-address-goes-here.com"
  },
  "expiresIn": 630720000
}

And I can confirm that it exists when I call:

/restapi/v1.0/subscription

But, for some reason, my destination address never gets notified of the incoming SMS message events.

I did successfully get a different subscription wired up and working correctly for incoming phone calls:

/restapi/v1.0/account/~/telephony/sessions

but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with the incoming SMS events.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

sms and text messagingwebhookssubscription
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered Phong Vu commented

You have to specify the number e.g.

"/restapi/v1.0/account/~/a2p-sms/messages?direction=Inbound&to=+12223334444"

I need to double check if it is supported w/o specifying the to number anymore. There are changes to the service and that filter may not be longer valid.

2 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Leonel Galán avatar image Leonel Galán commented ·

Where you able to check if it is supporte w/o specifying the to number, the documentation doesn't say it, but you are right and for my case it works. I wish the documentation was better, so we didn't lose so much time setting this things up.

Thanks for your help!

0 Likes 0 ·
Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ Leonel Galán commented ·

Tested and confirmed that you can subscribe for inbound message for all numbers belong to you by specifying the event filter without the to number. I.e.

"/restapi/v1.0/account/~/a2p-sms/messages?direction=Inbound
0 Likes 0 ·
Jason Thuli avatar image
Jason Thuli answered Phong Vu commented

Specifying a number isn't ideal for us because we'd like to monitor all incoming SMS messages. And, according to the documentation, it is supposed to work.

However, I did want to test your response, so I created a new subscription monitoring a single test number just to see if it would work, and it did work for the first message, but not for any of the subsequent messages (I've sent 5 test messages over a 30 minute span).

So, I deleted the single-number subscription and re-subscribed to the all-number event and tested it. Again, the first event showed up, but none of the subsequent messages did. So it seems to only throw an event the first time.

I deleted-and-recreated the subscription 3 more times to test this theory with the same results each time. The first event works, none of the others do.

Is this happening for anybody else? Is there a different event I need to subscribe to for all incoming SMS messages? I'm not sure where to go from here.

3 comments
1 |3000

Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

First of all, you can only subscribe for incoming messages to your own HV SMS numbers. This means that the numbers owner must be the one who logs in the app.

Secondly, you can subscribe for multiple events, each with a different to number, provided that the number belongs to the same owner.

var eventFilters = [
   "/restapi/v1.0/account/~/a2p-sms/messages?direction=Inbound&to=+1XXXXXXXXXX"
   "/restapi/v1.0/account/~/a2p-sms/messages?direction=Inbound&to=+1YYYYYYYYYY"
]

I receive all messages and never faced such a problem as you reported. Did you send from the same number and to the same number repeatedly?

Can you login this app https://highvolumesms.com to see how many numbers that user owns? And you can open the Conversations page to send and receive text messages. The app uses the same API to subscribe for inbound messages notification as I explained above.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jason Thuli avatar image Jason Thuli Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·
First of all, you can only subscribe for incoming messages to your own HV SMS numbers. This means that the numbers owner must be the one who logs in the app.

So does that mean it's not possible for me, an admin, to listen for all incoming SMS messages for all of our company's phone numbers? I can't imagine we're the first company to need something like that.

Secondly, you can subscribe for multiple events, each with a different to number, provided that the number belongs to the same owner.

Yes, I was aware of this. I was just trying to subscribe to a catch-all event, if possible.

Did you send from the same number and to the same number repeatedly?

Yes, I sent test messages to the same number each time. It worked for the first one, but none of the others.

Can you login this app https://highvolumesms.com to see how many numbers that user owns? And you can open the Conversations page to send and receive text messages. The app uses the same API to subscribe for inbound messages notification as I explained above.

I wasn't aware of this site, thank you for sharing. However, I get the following error after I log in.

Your account doesn't have a phone number enabled for High Volume SMS. Follow the instructions below to enable a number.

From what I'm reading about High Volume SMS, it doesn't seem to be a feature we really need, because our SMS needs are already met (besides the issue this post is about).

For now, I would accept events for a single phone number, but even that doesn't seem to work correctly.

0 Likes 0 ·
Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ Jason Thuli commented ·
I wasn't aware of this site, thank you for sharing. However, I get the following error after I log in.

Your account doesn't have a phone number enabled for High Volume SMS. Follow the instructions below to enable a number.

Note: If you have a High Volume SMS number and still see this message, it is likely the number is not assigned to your extension. Contact your account IT admin for help!

Pay attention to the note too. So in your case, you login with a user (even super admin user) who does not own a HV SMS number. Try login with a user who owns HV SMS number(s).

If you don't need to use HV SMS, you can use standard P2P SMS. With the standard SMS API, as a super admin user, you can subscribe for other users inbound messages.

BTW, I am not sure what happened yesterday. But today I test again the inbound and outbound message notification w/o specifying the to/from number and it works. Please test again with the right number owner's credentials.

0 Likes 0 ·

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys