News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
How do I prevent Ring Central from taking control of the media buttons on my keyboard?
Tags: ringcentral app
Sep 30, 2022 at 6:34am   •   2 replies  •  0 likes
Leonardo Sanchez Miranda

I have a keyboard with media controls (volume, play, pause, next track, previous track, etc...) Recently I realized that the play button stops working correctly after I receive a call with Ring Central, it can be a phone call or a video call, but the thing is once I get a call the button stops working correctly.

Supposedly, according to some things I've seen online, I can use the play button to answer the call. Once I end Ring Central's process and start it again the button behaves normally until I get another call. I realized the button would also work if I press the windows key along with the play button, but if I just press "Play" nothing happens until I restart Ring Central.

This has happened on 3 different machines, 2 of them with a completely new installation of windows one with windows 10, and one with windows 11. I haven't tried just using the web version, but I would like to keep using the desktop version and be able to use my keyboard correctly.

I've tried searching online for answers, but the best I could get was "Restart the program that is hijacking the media controls". I tried looking in the options and as far as I know, I have all controls disabled.

on Sep 30, 2022 at 8:59am   •  0 likes

Hi @Leonardo Sanchez Miranda, I'm currently checking if this is a known issue.

1 Answer
answered on Nov 21, 2022 at 10:52am  

This appears to be a bug. It appears that the Ringcentral app is treating keyboard media controls as headset controls. I was able to regain access of my keyboard media controls by opening the RingCentral application, then under Setting -> Notifications and audio -> Headset support, turning the "Headset controls" to off.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us