News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Developers
unable to get token and api
Tags: rest api
Aug 29, 2016 at 3:24pm   •   2 replies  •  0 likes
kraig-qin

just fill out my username, password, app key, app secret, then try it out, there is still not working. Also what is grant-type? i am not sure what should i do.

here is show me information:

Curl

curl -X POST --header "Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded" --header "Accept: application/json" --header "Authorization: Basic M3B5UWNrNjFSNFdnb000WkNKd3J2QToxMWNOak0yYVNRcWdxdXh1dFdMd25RdkxXWWl4RHZUY0szeEl5U25vMFJNZw==" -d "username=8575984477&password=8575984477D&extension=101&grant_type=password" "https://platform.devtest.ringcentral.com/restapi/oauth/token"

Request URL

https://platform.devtest.ringcentral.com/restapi/oauth/token

Response Body

{    "error": "invalid_grant",    "error_description": "Invalid resource owner credentials."  }

Response Code

Response Headers

{
  "date": "Mon, 29 Aug 2016 22:10:07 GMT",
  "routingkey": "SJC11P01PAS02",
  "content-length": "94",
  "content-language": "en",
  "content-type": "application/json;charset=UTF-8"
}

Curl

curl -X POST --header "Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded" --header "Accept: application/json" --header "Authorization: Basic dGYxM0wydlBSVGE0WUFOWEo4U1RoUTpNZjNYWEtoTFNSZVM0NGw1cVcxYUNBS3I3NUxNaWxSLVd1cS1FNTBadkdTUQ==" -d "username=8575984477&password=8575984477D&grant_type=password" "https://platform.devtest.ringcentral.com/restapi/oauth/token"

Request URL

https://platform.devtest.ringcentral.com/restapi/oauth/token

Response Body

{    "error": "unauthorized_client",    "error_description": "Unauthorized for this grant type"  }

Response Code

Response Headers

{
  "date": "Mon, 29 Aug 2016 22:18:14 GMT",
  "routingkey": "SJC11P01PAS02",
  "content-language": "en",
  "content-type": "application/json;charset=UTF-8",
  "content-length": "97"
}  

2 Answers
answered on Aug 29, 2016 at 4:37pm  
I'm making this a private conversation since you've included your username and password in the posts.

A phone call should not be necessary since we have ample documentation about getting started available online.

The Authorization Types available for your application are determined by the Platform Type (which is immutable once set).

If you need to use the Resource Owner Credentials Password Flow, you will need to create an application with the Platform Type set to "Server Only, No UI". Since that is the only option for this type of auth.

Make sure to use the appropriate user credentials (from within your sandbox account).

We understand your emphasis for getting this into production quickly, but you need to read the documentation (or provide access to your developer and give them the time needed to understand how to work with our platform and to properly follow our documented best practices).

Sincerely,
Benjamin Dean
Developer Relations Manager
RingCentral Platform

answered on Aug 29, 2016 at 3:35pm  
I suspect that it is because of username: your username has to be Sandbox phone number in E.164 format (i.e. +18575984477).

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us