News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Developers
The mentioned permission "VoIP Calling" in "Configuring your RingCentral app" does not exists for WebPhone
Tags: getting started
Sep 23, 2016 at 12:24pm   •   19 replies  •  0 likes
janielle

Original: https://github.com/ringcentral/ringcentral-web-phone/issues/85

As my colleague and I are trying to explore how to work with the Web Phone, we stuck while configuring the RingCentral app for Web Phone according to the README file.

The issue is that when we try to set up a new browser-based app, there is no permission VoIP Calling. Should I use different permissions?

Today, I found a Youtube video released by Benjamin Dean regarding to the setup. At 14:03 of the video, the demo app in the video clearly have the permission VoIP Calling. However, when I set up the application, the permission VoIP Calling doesn't seem to exist as you can see from the screenshots on GitHub.

Please advise how I should set up an application with VoIP Calling. Also, is it possible to have a Server/Web application to do VoIP Calling?

19 Answers
answered on Sep 29, 2016 at 10:28am  
Yes, the RingCentral for Google Chrome application on App Gallery does this very thing.
https://developers.ringcentral.com/app-gallery.html/app/312709020-312709020-7gufiGT3T3CCuCP37hMDaQ~K...

answered on Sep 29, 2016 at 9:11am  
Thanks Benjamin,

Do you know of any demo we can try that support in-browser calling using a public app?

answered on Sep 28, 2016 at 5:41pm  
Interoperability is no longer required to operate WebRTC, only VOIPCalling.

answered on Sep 28, 2016 at 5:41pm  
Interoperability is no longer required to operate WebRTC, only VOIPCalling.

answered on Sep 28, 2016 at 4:57pm  
Unfortunately we can't use https://github.com/ringcentral/ringcentral-js-cti-demo to test in-browser calling since it only supports ringout and URI

It would be nice to test with https://github.com/bdeanindy/ringcentral-webrtc-crm-demo but it requires Interoperability

How would you suggest we get started with in-browser calling without starting from scratch? We'd like to give something to our UI/UX team to work with while we develop against the sdk in parallel

answered on Sep 28, 2016 at 12:09pm  
Thanks Benjamin.

I found out why we can't get the demo to work.

I followed the demo apps documentation, which says we needed to created an app and set it's Platform Type to Browser-Based. The problem is, is that a browser based app does not support Password Flow and the demo is setup to only use password flow.

You should ask the developers to fix the documentation or get them to add Password Flow as an authentication type for Browser-Based app

Is there another demo somewhere that shows how to use the Authorization Flow?

And in the mean time could you add the voip calling permission to an app called ringcentral-web-phone (Private, Mobile/Only) please,

Thanks,

answered on Sep 28, 2016 at 10:50am  
Janielle,

RingCentral does not grant "Direct RingOut", "Interoperability", or "Read Client Info" API permissions to any external developers. If you need the "Number Lookup" API Permission, you will need to provide us with a detailed use case about how you will use this API Permission in order for us to consider granting one of your applications this Advanced API Permission.

We will not make any further modifications to application(s) which have already been approved for production access. Our graduation process will not delay you in any way towards getting your updated application(s) approved for production. In fact, the moment your application has successfully achieved the requirements to apply for production and you have applied, just add a reply here letting me know, and if everything is in order I will graduate your applications immediately.

Following our best practices, which I outlined above, will not require you to manage two sessions/apps.  You will just change your configuration/environment files to use the new API keys. You should be able to do this in the Sandbox account for development with these applications as they have the necessary API permissions to do both RingOut and WebRTC voice calling:

Statflo Business Connect (Web Phone)
Statflo Business Connect (Web Phone) - Private App

Sincerely,
Benjamin

answered on Sep 28, 2016 at 10:07am  
Hey team, we've got a product to ship. Can you please have someone respond to our issues?

answered on Sep 27, 2016 at 10:10am  
Hey Benjamin,
We currently have a passing public server application but we need to also use browser calling and don't want to manage two sessions/apps

answered on Sep 27, 2016 at 8:41am  
If you have created the new applications, defined them in the manner you desire, and have executed the requirements to "Apply for Production", we will review the application the following morning. Is that not sufficient (because this is our current best practice for developers to make changes to applications once they've been approved for production access)?

answered on Sep 27, 2016 at 7:56am  
Thank you very much for the response. I have a few questions/requests/issues.

Just a few days ago, our Server/Web application "Statflo Business Connect" has been approved for production use and is currently being tested for the launch this weekend. However, as we set to release the product with a RingCentral application that can make both RingOut and WebPhone call by the end of this week, the review process for a new application, which supports both features, will delay us from launching the product.

So, is it possible for you to change our application to a "Browser-based" application and having the API permission Direct Ring Out, Interoperability, Number Lookup, Read Accounts, Read Call Log, Read Client Info and Voip Calling?

Also, while we are trying to use with WebPhone Demo app, I keep getting the following error despite the fact that the API keys are for a private browser-based app with VoIP Calling and the sandbox credential works fine for RingOut call. What could be an issue? Is there a simpler way to test an Oauth implementation with the WebPhone demo?

answered on Sep 27, 2016 at 7:48am  
Is it possible for you to switch our app to a Browser calling app and allowing Direct Ring Out, Interoperability, Number Lookup, Read Accounts, Read Call Log, Read Client Info and Voip Calling?

answered on Sep 27, 2016 at 7:17am  
No matter what app type we try to use we only get the following options for permissions:

answered on Sep 25, 2016 at 5:58pm  

I don't know if this is relevant, but I have an app with both permissions. 

answered on Sep 23, 2016 at 2:23pm  
Sorry to bother you again.

We are wondering if we can use a Browser-based application for both RingOut and WebPhone. The issue we want to avoid is having to require our users to authenticate with RingCentral twice within the same app - the effect of that will be confusion and potential loss of trust in the tool. Can you please advise on how we should proceed towards the goal of having ringout and browser-based calling in our app without undue user experience impact?

answered on Sep 23, 2016 at 1:11pm  
I see. Thank you so much for your help. :D

By the way, I think it would be beneficial to other developers to see in the related documentation that they need to create a developer support case to get VoIP Calling permission.

answered on Sep 23, 2016 at 12:51pm  
No, we only support Browser-based applications for use with the WebPhone at this time.

answered on Sep 23, 2016 at 12:47pm  
Thank you very much for very quick follow up.

As I mentioned earlier, as our application "Statflo Business Connect" are required to do both RingOut and WebPhone, is it possible to have a Server/Web application to do VoIP Calling?

answered on Sep 23, 2016 at 12:30pm  
I've added this API permission to both of your applications defined in Developer Portal which had "Web Phone" in the title.

Currently, to obtain this API Permission we require developers to create a developer support case, but since you posted here and I was able to look you up, I went ahead and took care of this for you.

You only needed this for those two applications, correct?

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us