News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Developers
message-store fax status is always received
Tags: fax
Jan 23, 2019 at 2:11pm   •   5 replies  •  0 likes
michel

I am successfully retrieving an extension's message list using "message-store". We are able to obtain most of the information we require for faxes in our message box, except for:

1) "Status" for Inbound and Outbound faxes we cannot seem to access properly. We are trying records['messageStatus']. but this returns "Received" for all messages, including those that are "Partial Receive" as displayed in the web-app call-log.

We also tried referencing all of these:

records['to']['messageStatus']
records['to']['faxErrorCode']
records['from']['messageStatus']
records['from']['faxErrorCode']
and they all return as not set (null).

Where / how do we obtain the proper "Status" of a fax message?

2) "To phoneNumber" for Outbound faxes we cannot seem to access. We have tried:

records['subject']

records['to']['phoneNumber']

records['from']['phoneNumber']
and they all return as not set (null).

Where / how do we obtain the proper "phoneNumber" of an outgoing sent fax message?

Thanks

5 Answers
answered on Jan 23, 2019 at 9:41pm  
Hi Michael, I remember that when a fax sending failed I used to check the call log to see the exact failure reason.  For inbound fax, if its status is not received, you probably won't see it at all.  So check call log data is indeed a way to get data about all the faxes.

answered on Jan 23, 2019 at 9:04pm  
With further analysis of our messages through the API, I have found that if faxes are partially received and there is any size of an attachment on the message, then it is accessible through the API through the message-store with a "Received" status.  BUT all the faxes that have no attachment due to receive errors DO NOT show up at all in the message-store. 

I assume I will have to check the API "call-log" data to confirm all the incoming faxes that had receive errors and no partial message was obtained.

This still leaves me with my original problem, because when I try to download fax messages that were only partially received, I cannot obtain the proper status so that we can determine that we are missing pages and need identify it and handle it differently.

answered on Jan 23, 2019 at 8:16pm  
I'm not sure it would be a sync issue, since the message I am checking on is now 12 hrs old - it should be synced by now, correct?.  Here is the full response array I just pulled a few minutes ago, note that this message shows as "Partial Receive" in our web-app call log, but the only returned API inf indicates a status of "Received":

[uri] => https://platform.ringcentral.com/restapi/v1.0/account/57489449/extension/381982024/message-store/103...
[id] => 1033226798024
[from] => Array (
   [phoneNumber] => xxxxxxxx 
   [name] => CONFIDENTIAL
   [location] => Edmonton, AB )
[type] => Fax
[creationTime] => 2019-01-23T16:14:22.000Z
[readStatus] => Unread
[priority] => Normal
[attachments] => Array ( [0] => Array (
    [id] => 1033226798024 [uri] => https://media.ringcentral.com/restapi/v1.0/account/57489449/extension/381982024/message-store/103322...
    [type] => RenderedDocument
    [contentType] => image/tiff ) )
[direction] => Inbound
[availability] => Alive
[subject] => xxxxxxxx 
[messageStatus] => Received
[faxResolution] => High
[faxPageCount] => 1
[lastModifiedTime] => 2019-01-23T16:14:22.533Z

(note that the phone/fax numbers are returned, they are just replaced with xxxxxxx for privacy)

On Outbound messages we did find the "to" number (we just had a typo!)

answered on Jan 23, 2019 at 5:50pm  
Maybe there is a typo?  I remember records is an array.  So instead of records['subject'], you should try records[0]['subject'].

answered on Jan 23, 2019 at 2:48pm  
Hi Michel,

I guess it is just the matter of delay time of syncing the message store. Can you give more time and try reading the message store again to see if the messageStatus updated.

Regarding to the to number, there is no "to" field in the response. Instead, you can get the to number from the "subject" field.

Let me know if you still see those message status unchanged or null.

+ Phong

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us