News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
I have created a group of contacts, how can I send an SMS to the group?
Tags: sms and text messaging
Jun 3, 2017 at 12:04pm   •   4 replies  •  0 likes
zarios-hair-salon

I have successfully uploaded a list of contacts, I then created a group, but, I can not figure out how to send an SMS to the group.

If I search for the group name, all of the contacts in that group show up, but, I can not send to all of them without clicking each individual member.

Am I doing something wrong?

4 Answers
answered on Jun 27, 2018 at 11:53am  
is this text to group feature available now, i just noticed this message string is a year old?

answered on Jun 3, 2017 at 12:51pm  
No, you are not doing anything wrong. Group messaging by clicking on a group is not yet a functionality of RIngCentral business SMS. To send out a group message, and have it received as a group, the recipients must be entered into our Company Contacts (which clients will normally not be listed in). When you enter more than one personal contact (e.g., clients) you will be notified that the message will be sent out as individual messages (not a group).

If you try to send a text message to a client (Personal Contacts) and also someone in your Company Contacts (an employee) you will get a message that all recipients must be in the Company Contacts to send a group message. It further informs you that the text will be send as individual messages.

answered on Jun 3, 2017 at 12:45pm  
It turns out that you cannot currently message to a group, individual contacts have to be added when sending SMS messages to multiple people. This is a great idea though and I'm sure others could use this on RingCentral as well!

If this feature is important to the way you want to use your RingCentral account, I highly recommend making an idea post on this community site. If other RingCentral users also like this idea, they can vote on it. This is where many new features for our services can start out. We do have a helpful Walkthrough for Submitting a New Idea in the RingCentral Community.

answered on Jul 29, 2020 at 8:05pm  
Here's an example of what you will see if you enter individual clients (personal contacts) to SMS them all at once.

Here's an example of what I referred to in my previous message if you were to include an employee from Company contacts and a client from personal contacts.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us