News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
Can't connect to meeting as user
Tags: meetings
Feb 19, 2019 at 12:24pm   •   11 replies  •  0 likes
john12345678910111213141516171819

I have a meeting link, I can connect on a remote computer, but I can't connect on my workstation. I have the latest updates on Windows 10, I use Google Chrome to launch the url, and I've uninstalled and reinstalled the RingCentral app.

I have done a speedtest and show 50 down, 9.5 up, I've disabled the firewall and turned off my AV, still doesn't connect.

I tried calling support, but since I don't have a ring central number they don't care about me. Any ideas why this doesn't work?

11 Answers
answered on Feb 26, 2019 at 12:30pm  
So we had another meeting today and we set up the user's workstation in a DMZ with all traffic allowed in and out, and the meeting worked. Previously we had double and triple checked the article that was referenced above. The only port that is listed is 443.

This article is not complete and should get updated with the full list of ports that need to be opened. We can NOT leave this workstation exposed in this manner. We are legislated to maintain a certain level of security because of the business needs. We can open ports if needed, but opening all traffic in and out of a workstation opens up a bunch of liability and exposes the company to too much risk.

@Saadet, Can you ask the Tier 3 Support team for the actual list of ports that need to be open?

answered on Feb 22, 2019 at 8:16am  
I did see that article, and as I said, it didn't work, then it did work, then it didn't work. Based on the article you quoted, all traffic should be going on port 443, which is unrestricted in our environment. We have tested with several other applications and use that port in our daily tasks, I suspect that something else is going on with your application.

It's too bad you don't have a test meeting server available. I see there is a 3+ year old request for that.

answered on Feb 22, 2019 at 7:29am  
Hey John,

I spoke with our Tier 3 Support Team and based on the information you provided, it sounds like it's something localized to your network and setup. So! I would check out this article that references the IP Addresses and Ports that need to be enabled for RingCentral Meetings. Maybe that will help! :) I would also double check your firewall settings again to verify that there isn't something there blocking proper communication.

answered on Feb 21, 2019 at 12:47pm  
1. As I stated I don't own the Ring central account, if I had it, maybe support would talk to me, however as I don't own the account they don't care. I don't know who owns the account that this meeting is hosted with.

2. We have had 3 meetings that this user is trying to connect to, first one failed, second worked, third failed. All have happened in the past 2 weeks.

3. We use ConnectWise Automate to monitor and control patching in this environment. This computer has all updates that are provided by Windows. Also we are using Chrome. When checking for updates through our tools, or by going into the update tool on the machine, it says there are no other updates. Same for Chrome. There are no pending updates available, and we have rebooted in accordance with how Microsoft requires us to do so. (I have 20 years of experience in IT support roles, it's patched and rebooted)

No errors are presented, just says can't connect, then tries alternate, then says meeting is over. the message is not at all helpful.

answered on Jul 29, 2020 at 9:08pm  
Yes, tried that, tried uninstalling and reinstalling, all failed.

The last time we tried, we were waiting for the meeting to start, everything looked correct, then when the organizer signed in, this computer hung, while another computer I was testing on worked. I haven't found any error messages or reasons it wouldn't work.

answered on Feb 21, 2019 at 12:42pm  
Hmm...Have you tried simply copying and pasting the Meeting ID into the RC Meetings app, instead of clicking on the link?

What about switching your default browser to Firefox? I'm wondering if it is machine, internet, or browser related and this will help narrow it down.

answered on Feb 21, 2019 at 12:13pm  
Hmmmm....I'll need some more background info.

1) Does your office have a RingCentral account? Or are you using Meetings because someone outside of your organization would like you to?
2) Can you clarify when this started happening? 
3) Could you expand on "We've confirmed this machine is fully patched."?

answered on Feb 21, 2019 at 6:51am  
Computer is set up the same as every other computer in our organization. the routers are exactly the same at all sites. Other users in the office can connect, and this one has previously connected, but usually it says trying to connect, then after about 5 minutes it times out, and then says the meeting is over.

Since I'm in IT and not the person who started the meeting, I'm not able to talk to support since they only talk to the account holder. We've confirmed this machine is fully patched.
We are using:
  • Windows 10,
  • Chrome,
  • Webroot AV (tried with it disabled as well)
  • Tried with the firewall off, no change
Don't know what else would be affecting it.

answered on Feb 21, 2019 at 6:19am  
So does anyone have any ideas as to why I can't get a connection to a meeting?

answered on Feb 21, 2019 at 6:45am  
John,

If you are trying to run meetings on a Mac, this thread (and several others like it) shows an issue that is occurring.

https://community.ringcentral.com/ringcentral/topics/unable-to-log-in-to-ringcentral-meetings-from-o...

answered on Feb 21, 2019 at 6:26am  
Hey john, in order to help, we'll need more information about what's going on. Are you getting an error message? Is your remote computer on a different network than your workstation? If so, there might be something on the workstation network blocking your ability to connect to RC Meetings. Is this just one user who is having an issue, or are multiple people experiencing the same thing? The more details the better! :)

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us