News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
Receptionist Cannot Park a Call if Second call comes in
Tags: call handling
Apr 25, 2018 at 1:08pm   •   8 replies  •  0 likes
belsito

We have polycom phones and all incoming calls ring a single receptionist extension. If she answers a call and is speaking with someone and another call comes in, the system will not allow her to park the call in one of our preset call park locations. Are we missing something?

8 Answers
answered on May 30, 2019 at 11:37am  
You may want to take a look at an attendant console.  Bridge Operator Console provides these features for users, and is designed for front desk works, making it superior to a desk phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUpdDzeB3zo

https://bit.ly/2MhxgnK

answered on Apr 26, 2018 at 4:30am  
Well I cannot access the polycom vvx411 ringcentral provided from the web using the ip address and I cannot access any admin features on the phone itself because admin isn't even a choice on the phone screens (I assume locked down by ringcentral).  Therefore, I need the help.

answered on Apr 25, 2018 at 2:01pm  
Yes I also have a bunch of VVX410s and 411s. Don't confuse presence with lines. Lookup the KB article for 'Presence'.

Think of those as speed dials - they aren't lines that the phone can handle.

answered on Apr 25, 2018 at 2:04pm  
I have all phones set up with presence now and I did all the programming.  I remember I could not touch the first 2 presence keys as they were reserved for the "lines".  I just remember when I first plugged my phone in it said my name on all 12 presence keys because technically its a 12 line phone but apparently Ringcentral only gives each user 2 lines.

answered on Apr 25, 2018 at 1:58pm  
Each phone only has 2 lines even though when you first plug in it shows 12??  We have VVX411 Polycoms

answered on Apr 25, 2018 at 1:54pm  
Is she using the More > Park option on the phone or parking it at a Park 1/ Park 2 kind of location?

If the latter, I believe that is treated like a transfer since it is a park extension. The phone places the call on hold, and uses its second line to establish the transfer. If that second line is occupied (by another incoming call) then it can't access it to do the transfer.

See if she can use the More > Park option in this situation (be sure to listen for the Park ID before hanging up). That would help establish the root cause here.

answered on Jul 29, 2020 at 8:37pm  
The phone only has two lines. RingCentral has really dropped the ball on this in my view as it should be a pretty basic feature (basically a true call queue that has callers wait in turn rather than blasting them all constantly to the phones).

A workaround might (I haven't tried this) be to send all calls to another extension instead of your receptionists phone. Then add permissions for her to grab calls from that line. She will see it ringing and can do what she does. However, it won't force her phone to accept a second call all the time - she has to grab them one by one.

Far from ideal, but I don't know of another solution here. If there is one I'd love to hear it because I gave up looking for a way to make this happen a long time ago.

answered on Apr 25, 2018 at 1:47pm  
The latter is exactly what is happening and I never thought it would need a line to make the transfer so that makes perfect sense!  I really do not want to start using the More-Park because then she will have to remember the number and then I will have to try and teach 50 people how to retrieve the parked call.  We are pretty set in our ways and have had only Park 1, 2 and 3 on three different phone systems the past 10-12 years.  Is there another workaround or can I somehow give her phone more than 2 incoming lines??

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us