News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
Fax Spam
Tags: fax
Sep 1, 2017 at 4:03pm   •   4 replies  •  0 likes
jones1234567

Does it do any good to call the opt out number on these spam faxes? Or, does it just make matters worse?

4 Answers
answered on Dec 10, 2019 at 11:12am  
my pay for service account is depleted 100% by spam calls.

answered on Sep 4, 2017 at 7:02am  
I disagree.  There is a Federal law covering this.

The Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), 47 U.S.C. 227, restricts the use of the facsimile machine to deliver unsolicited advertisements. Specifically, the TCPA prohibits the use of any telephone facsimile machine, computer, or other device to send an unsolicited advertisement to a telephone facsimile machine. The TCPA applies only to those facsimile messages that constitute unsolicited advertisements. he statutory prohibition applies to such advertisements ent both to residential and business facsimile numbers.

In 2005, the Junk Fax Prevention Act amended the TCPA to permit the sending of unsolicited facsimile advertisements to individuals and businesses with which the sender has an established business relationship (EBR) and to provide a process by which any sender must cease sending such advertisements upon the request of the recipient. On April 5, 2006, the Commission adopted rules to implement the Junk Fax Prevention Act. Among other things, 47 C.F.R. 64.1200 requires the sender of fax advertisements to provide notice and contact information on the fax that allows recipients to opt out of future fax transmissions from the sender and requires senders to honor opt out requests within the shortest reasonable period of time, not to exceed 30 days.

The faxes I get with an opt-out number or fax are usually legitimate and are complying with the law.  I have gotten a few with no opt-out information and have called the business to let them know they are in violation of Federal Law.  This usually gets their attention.  Neither of our fax numbers get that many unsolicited faxes, but I've never gotten another one from a company I've opted out from.

answered on Sep 1, 2017 at 4:05pm  
Jones,

Usually it will make matters worse. They then know that the number is a good working number which has someone replying (the unsubscribe/opt out) on the other end. I can't say that is the case for all spam numbers but I personally wouldn't take the chance. Your mileage may vary.

answered on Sep 1, 2017 at 4:39pm  
I concur with @Jan - Just block them as they come in.  At least they are not eating up toner and paper.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us