News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
How to force all incoming calls to be through carrier voice network, and not VOIP
Tags: phone, phone
Jan 3, 2020 at 8:45am   •   2 replies  •  0 likes
ken-adams12

Android cell phone on Verizon Wireless

RingCentral Office Standard Plan

For either the RC Phone app or the Ring Central app (I'm honestly not sure why there are 2 apps?), how can you force all incoming calls to come through the standard carrier voice network, and not utilize VOIP? VOIP can be inconsistent when driving on the road, and Verizon has a strong network for voice. So I would much rather use my carrier's standard voice network/carrier minutes for all incoming and outgoing calls, and totally skip the VOIP option all together.

In the RingCentral app, there is a setting for outbound calls "Use Only Carrier Minutes" which is great. But this only affects outbound calls, not inbound calls.

In RC Phone, when I click to turn off the "Data (VoIP) Calling" setting, incoming calls no longer ring my phone, and I just get a missed call notification.

In my testing, I was able to successfully receive multiple incoming calls via my carrier's standard voice network (I believe using the RingCentral app), though I tweaked some settings and now all incoming calls are coming through as VOIP. So I know it's possible :)

2 Answers
answered on Jul 1, 2020 at 8:12pm  
When you make this change though there is no way to distinguish whether a call is coming to your ring central number (business purposes) or your personal number is there?

answered on Jan 6, 2020 at 11:38am  
Hi Ken, 

If you want inbound calls to route via the carrier instead of VoIP, you'll need to go to the call handling and forwarding settings in Service Web and add your number there while turning off the "Mobile App" option. The only way inbound calls would ring your carrier number is if that number is added in Service Web. 

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us