News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
Edit Profile to Include Name of Outside SMS text message recipient/sender
Tags: sms and text messaging
Feb 19, 2020 at 3:41pm   •   6 replies  •  0 likes
gary-sparks

I've just started using the RC Desktop app (Mac OSX), and I like the convenience of exchanging SMS text messages with my clients (who are not RC customers).

What I can't figure out is how to edit the profile of the telephone number with which I am exchanging SMS messages to include my client's name. It's difficult to scan the list of messages/conversations and have to identify my clients purely by their phone number.

I don't want to "invite" my clients to RingCentral. What other solution is there? There's got to be something simple that I am just overlooking.

6 Answers
answered on Jun 8, 2020 at 1:35pm  
Exactly! Please consider fixing this, RingCentral.

answered on Jun 8, 2020 at 12:47pm  
+1 for this - Kinda crazy that this functionality doesn't exist in the desktop app.  Our sales team has to either infer who they're talking to from the SMS conversation history or look up the phone number in salesforce just to understand who the number belongs to.

answered on Apr 10, 2020 at 12:22pm  
I also would love to see contacts being easily edited in the desktop app, especially now with many of us working from home. Thank you!

answered on Mar 24, 2020 at 9:37pm  
NOT displaying the users' name with the text number or NOT being able to edit the profile details in the desktop has kept me from using ring central as my main collaboration tool. Really like most of the features and the video chat but that's a big issue. Contacts should sync across platforms. Not just on the mobile. Wish they would get that fixed. Have 5 phone lines with them but am considering dropping them and using another voip service.

answered on Jul 29, 2020 at 9:39pm  
David's right, this functionality is in the mobile app right now. Product is working on app and desktop parody for contacts. 

answered on Feb 20, 2020 at 8:22am  
If you check out the Mobile application you can edit the contact there. It does not seem to update the desktop application. If the texted phone number can be tied to a contact name on the mobile, it would be good if that was a two way connection and the desktop app would be able to see it as well.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us