News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
Virus detected in RingCentral App?
Tags: security issue
Sep 8, 2020 at 12:19pm   •   4 replies  •  3 likes
matt1234567891011121314

We got RingCentral a few months back and twice now have had our antivirus detect a threat in RingCentral apps. First time it was Avast, which tagged Update.exe (in the Glip folder), this time it was Windows Defender on multiple computers that tagged UninstallRingCentral.exe as a threat.

Has this been happening to anyone else; is this a mistake with virus definitions or is it more likely an actual virus?

4 Answers
answered on Sep 10, 2020 at 7:51am  

This happened to me on Tuesday (9/8/2020) when I closed and reopened RingCentral. The file location was C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Programs\RingCentral\UninstallRingCentral.exe.

I assumed it was a false positive, too. Some of my team's own beta apps have triggered false positives when unsigned.

Note that on 4/30/2020 I installed a beta of the new consolidated RC app (v20.2.11.1262) and then upgraded a few weeks later when it was officially released as v20.2.20.1473. There were some issues with uninstalling the three apps (Glip, Meetings, softphone) and installing the beta, and again when moving to the official release, so that may have left some remnants of the beta.

answered on Sep 9, 2020 at 8:39am  

RingCentral had an update to their app yesterday, the same time we got this alert...

answered on Sep 8, 2020 at 2:20pm  

Three users reported this to me today and I just set another user up on a brand new computer an I was presented with the same alert. Here's to hoping it's just a false-positive.

The file Windows Defender is reporting a Trojan for is: Uninstall RingCentral.exe

answered on Sep 8, 2020 at 12:49pm  

It maybe false alarm done by antivirus. False Positives are harmless and legitimate programs that are incorrectly identified as malicious by an antivirus program.

Check this:

https://success.ringcentral.co.uk/articles/en_US/RC_Knowledge_Article/9402

"Antivirus systems sometimes identify applications as 'infected' when they are not (which is known as a "false-positive"). This could happen to RingCentral Contact Center desktop applications, as with any desktop application. If this happens, work with your antivirus vendors to resolve such issues. " as per the reference given

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us