News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Developers
Find a user using API?
Tags: rest api
Sep 24, 2020 at 7:58am   •   5 replies  •  0 likes
Chad Corey

Looking through the API reference but I don't see anything like this. One of the things we want to do with the API is things like:

Provision new users

Deprovision users

modify users information.

What I don't see is a way to find user's so you can get the internal user ID in order to do these things. Is that even possible? Are the things above even possible with the API?

5 Answers
answered on Jan 28, 2021 at 2:00pm  

@Carl Karawani I was able to achieve this recently with the Address Book API - Search Company Directory Entries.

https://platform.devtest.ringcentral.com/restapi/v1.0/account/~/directory/entries/search

I only confirmed it after adding additional users in my sandbox. Leaving off search terms returned all users and their info, including the internal id.

I just confirmed the same result with the Get Extension List API mentioned earlier in this thread. By only providing my internal id (or ~) and type=User, it retuned all my test users and their internal ids.

answered on Jan 19, 2021 at 3:29pm  

Hey @Chad Corey I was just wondering if you got any answer on this?

answered on Sep 24, 2020 at 8:15am  

There is an API called Get Extension List which will list out all the users of different extensions.

Example : GET https://platform.devtest.ringcentral.com/restapi/v1.0/account/~/extension

will show all the details of users, ID, extension, email, status, permissions etc.

This will return all the information of all the users available along with their ID.

Now to get all the details of only one particular user, you can serarch using user ID.

Example: If a user has ID 123456789, you can get that user's info using that ID:

https://platform.devtest.ringcentral.com/restapi/v1.0/account/~/extension/123456789

answered on Sep 24, 2020 at 9:58am  

Are we sure this is how this works? If I search for myself, using my email, I get zero records. It only seems to want to work to get the account of the user the app used for authentication.

answered on Sep 24, 2020 at 8:48am  

interesting I would not have gotten that idea from the documentation which makes it seem like you are getting extensions for a specific user since it requires the internal accountID. That is what is throwing me off I guess. Just throw ~ at everything it seems.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us