News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Developers
Reading detailed call log data for extension to extension calls - why does the caller name and extension data not match?
Tags: call log api
Mar 12, 2021 at 1:27am   •   4 replies  •  1 likes
Brandon Poindexter

I am confused about some of the data being sent back by the API for a detailed call log for extension to extension calls. Here's what I am getting:

Extension 100 belongs to Joe, Extension 101 belong to Jane.

Joe dials Jane by dialing extension 101. This creates call log data that I'm pulling through the API.

The call has four legs. The first three are more or less understandable, but there is an odd anomaly on the final leg.

In the final leg, I'm reading the response from the API with leg.from.name and leg.from.extensionnumber. If the call was from Joe at ext 100, you'd expect to see leg.from.extensionnumber have 100 for a value and leg.from.name to have "Joe" for its value.

This is NOT what I'm seeing in the final leg of extension to extension calls. What I'm seeing on the final leg is leg.from.extensionnumber at 100, but I'm seeing leg.from.name showing "Jane". Jane does not own extension 100. I do not get this. At all. I want to understand what I'm missing about why this is, or if it shouldn't be this way, then I want to report it s a bug.

4 Answers
answered on Mar 12, 2021 at 4:53pm  

Forgot to mention. We have automatic inbound and outbound recording turned on for our organization. Would that explain the multiple legged nature of the extension to extension calls?

on Mar 12, 2021 at 5:42pm   •  0 likes

No, you should still have only 1 call leg. Is this your production account? What is the account id?

answered on Mar 13, 2021 at 7:29am  

I’m not sure how to find my account id.

I did do a test by disabling automatic recording on both extensions and doing a call. Still had 4 legs.

I am seeing that outbound calls from an extension to any external non RingCentral number does generate a single leg call. It appears the four leg call is specific to an extension to extension call.

on Mar 13, 2021 at 7:40am   •  0 likes

If it's your production account, give me the app name and company name so I can try to check. If it's your sandbox account, give me the main company number.

It looks like you set the call handling & forwarding simultaneously for the extension 101 to ring external number etc.

on Mar 13, 2021 at 7:59am   •  0 likes

RC Data Archiver is the app name.

Company Name is Hurley And Associates

on Mar 13, 2021 at 7:59am   •  0 likes

App is in production btw.

on Mar 13, 2021 at 8:03am   •  0 likes

There is no extension 100 and 101 in this account? What is the exact extension number you test on?

on Mar 13, 2021 at 8:05am   •  0 likes

2041 and 2998.

I forgot to mention. I am reading the company call log records. User call log records tend to look slightly different. When I look at those in My Extension it does appear single legged, in case that’s important.

on Mar 13, 2021 at 8:08am   •  0 likes

I got it. Your call is a Ring-Out call. That is why it has extra legs. LEt me check for documentation about Ring-Out legs and send you soon.

on Mar 13, 2021 at 8:13am   •  0 likes

I believe you are looking at the wrong call. This was not a ring out call and it did not involve a cell phone.

Look at the call to 2998 from 2041 at 1:20am 3/13/21.

on Mar 13, 2021 at 8:36am   •  0 likes

Actually it was not a Ring-Out call. The extension 2998 is a super admin extension and I believe that somewhere it is setting, it is associated with the main company number. If you accept the call log as such, stay with the master leg's info and ignore the leg to the main company number. Otherwise, you should submit a support ticket so someone can walk you thru with your settings.

on Mar 13, 2021 at 8:20pm   •  0 likes

how does being a super admin change things? I am not using any custom forwarding rules. My ring settings are the default setting of ringing my softphone and mobile apps for 30 seconds before going to voicemail.

on Mar 13, 2021 at 9:37pm   •  0 likes

Somehow that is associated to the main company number. However, I don't see any IVR setting associated with that extension. What happens if you call to other extension numbers?

on Mar 14, 2021 at 9:31am   •  0 likes

Similar behavior. I’m seeing the same kind of leg records for a call between ext 8000 and 8001 as well from almost 2 weeks ago, 3/3/21.

answered on Mar 12, 2021 at 8:26am  

There must be something between the call from 100 to 101. If it is a direct call from 100 to 101, you must get only ONE leg and it is a master leg. How did you make that call that you could see 4 legs?

answered on Mar 12, 2021 at 8:34am  

Nothing unusual. I called extend 101 from extension 100 by dialing 101 in the soft phone dial pad. The simple view call log, both on the admin web interface and the api response shows a single leg, but the detailed log is 4 legs both in web interface and in api response.

I can arrange screen caps of this if we can arrange a way to transfer them to you outside of a public forum, with redaction.

on Mar 12, 2021 at 10:13am   •  0 likes

You can open a help support ticket and send them the details.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us