question

Ben Grombala avatar image
Ben Grombala asked Ben Grombala commented

How do I send an SMS from the main company number?

I am able to send a SMS from my individual user number, but I cannot figure out how to send a SMS from my main business number. I also sent a text to my business number and it did not show up anywhere.

sms and text messaging
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered

Login your account service web with a super admin user, choose the Phone System tab and select the Auto-receptionist menu and change the IVR general settings by select the extension you want to send/receive text messages to/from the main company number. Authenticate your app with that user to send text messages.

screen-shot-2022-07-12-at-73436-am.png

You can always double check if the selected extension has the right to send SMS from the main company number by using this code. E.g.

async function detect_p2p_sms_feature(){
  try{
    var resp = await platform.get("/restapi/v1.0/account/~/extension/~/phone-number")
    var jsonObj = await resp.json()
    for (var record of jsonObj.records){
      if (record.usageType == "MainCompanyNumber"){
        for (feature of record.features){
          if (feature == "SmsSender" || feature == "MmsSender"){
              console.log(`This number ${record.phoneNumber} is a P2P SMS number`)
          }
        }
      }
    }
  }catch(e){
    console.log(e.message)
  }
}

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Ben Grombala avatar image
Ben Grombala answered Ben Grombala commented

opext.png

Thank you for your response. I am the only user and am listed under General IVR Settings and I still do not have the option to send texts from the main company number. I have no idea how to use code.

opext.png (126.2 KiB)
3 comments
1 |3000

Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

Is that your sandbox account or your production account? What is the main company number? For the code, it is a sample code in Node JS, using the RingCentral JS SDK.

You said that you were able to send a SMS from your individual user number, how did you send it? Via API for via the RC app? Last question, are you a developer?

0 Likes 0 ·
Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

Ignore my previous question about your account. I found your production account and the main company number ends xxx yyy-5533.

Both direct number and main company number are SMS enabled. So my question is how did you send SMS? Are you using the SMS API or are you using the RingCentral app?

0 Likes 0 ·
Ben Grombala avatar image Ben Grombala Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

I now have the option to send texts from my main number! Not sure what changed but it now works. Thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys