News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Developers
Where to find DeviceID of RingCentral App. (Not the softphone)
Tags: rest api
Jul 14, 2020 at 1:57pm   •   7 replies  •  1 likes
XP Admin

Hello,

I am able to find the all of the DeviceID's assigned to an extension by calling this endpoint:

https://platform.devtest.ringcentral.com/restapi/v1.0/account/accountId/extension/extensionId/device

I can then use these DeviceID's to place a call using my chosen device by calling this endpoint and supplying the DeviceID:

https://platform.devtest.ringcentral.com/restapi/v1.0/account/accountId/telephony/call-out

My question:

How do I find the DeviceID of the RingCentral App?

https://www.ringcentral.co.uk/desktop-app.html

The /extension/~/extensionId/device EndPoint only returns the ID's for Softphones and Hardphones

Thank you

7 Answers
answered on Jan 22, 2024 at 10:28am  

Has the status of this changed at all? It would be really useful for our users if we could expose the RC mobile app as a device for them.

on Jan 22, 2024 at 1:57pm   •  0 likes

Sorry, still no support for this because of the dynamic device id from WebRTC app.

answered on Nov 5, 2021 at 11:23am  

I'd be interested in following this as well. I'm attempting an integration between RingCentral and another cloud system, and I've found that the users must have the RingCentral Phone app installed in order to present a deviceID to get a handle on and use MakeCall. If we're being pushed to use the new unified app, which doesn't have a deviceID, this is going to have a major impact on the way the company does business

answered on Aug 16, 2021 at 8:22am  

Hello RingCentral,

With the latest email regarding the EOL of the RC Meetings app we are forced to switch the the RC unified app, has the issue regarding the lack of DeviceID been resolved?

Thank you

@Phong Vu

on Aug 16, 2021 at 10:43am   •  0 likes

Unfortunately, the RC unified app still does not support device id. But I am not sure how this is related to the EOL of the RC Meetings app? Do you need the device id to make a call-out using API? Let me know your use cases.

on Aug 17, 2021 at 1:20am   •  0 likes

Hi Phong,

Thanks for getting back to me, regarding how its related - I can see the next phase being the EOL of the RC phone app and a switch to the unified app. As we utilise the call-out API within our CRM we need device ID's to place the call using the correct device

Do the dev team have this on their road map?

on Aug 17, 2021 at 7:12am   •  0 likes

We are aware of this and we are not going to sunset the RC Phone app any time soon. What is your account id or account name. I want to add your company to the request list so we have stronger push for this. Thanks

on Aug 17, 2021 at 7:45am   •  0 likes

Thanks Phong, I will message my ID privately

answered on Jul 16, 2020 at 10:13am  

Are the API limitations for each of your products documented?

This is obviously critical information that our clients would need before we could sell a custom solution.

answered on Jul 16, 2020 at 3:46am  

This type of similar query is already in the forum.

For reference: https://forums.developers.ringcentral.com/questions/10052/callout-using-mobiledesktop-app.html

answered on Jul 15, 2020 at 9:00am  

Hi @Phong Vu,

Ok, thanks for clarifying that

It's my understanding that the Softphone is slowly being phased out, and we are encouraged to switch to the RingCentral Desktop App https://www.ringcentral.co.uk/desktop-app.html

If we switch to the desktop app, this will render many functions of the API useless, am I right?

Will it ever be possible to use the CallOut EndPoint with the Desktop App?

Thank you

answered on Jul 14, 2020 at 5:12pm  

Unfortunately, right now the RingCentral desktop app and the RingCentral mobile app do not register their device id. Thus, you cannot get the device Id of those "phones".

I have not further info as when or if we are going to support this. But once I have the info, I will be more than happy to share with developers.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us