question

Jigar Patel avatar image
Jigar Patel asked Phong Vu commented

jwt

Hi,

I previously used the password for auth flow of my app.

Now the password is no longer allowed. I switched to json web token, and followed the instructions and the example for python. I obtained the jwt, entered into my code, but:

I am also getting

Unauthorized for this grant type
get token
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered

Did you login the RingCentral developer portal and change the auth type for your app? And what is the app client id?

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Jigar Patel avatar image
Jigar Patel answered Phong Vu commented

Hi Mr. Phong,

my clinet ID: kAZYBRDmQFWLcRLeKyZTgw

as for auth type, i see this in App settings:

1705588331923.png

1705588331923.png (58.0 KiB)
1 comment
1 |3000

Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

So your app is a native Windows desktop app or a Web app? Right now the platform type app is Desktop/Windows. And the app grant type is Authorization code and Password flow.

I disabled the password flow and enabled the JWT token flow for your app so you should be able to use JWT token now.

If your app is truly a Windows desktop app, you should think about the way you will deploy your app and how the users can be authenticated. You may find authorization code flow would be more suitable for your app.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jigar Patel avatar image
Jigar Patel answered

My app is a Windows desktop app.

How long does it take for the change to JWT token flow to take effect?

Thank you

1 |3000

Jigar Patel avatar image
Jigar Patel answered

The JWT auth works now, and my app is working again!

Thank you for all your help!

1 |3000

Jeff Gabhart avatar image
Jeff Gabhart answered Phong Vu commented

@Phong Vu I am seeing the same error, is there a delay before jwt becomes enabled?

3 comments
1 |3000

Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

Should be quick and within an hour. Does the problem still exist? If so, what is the app client id?

0 Likes 0 ·
Jeff Gabhart avatar image Jeff Gabhart Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

In my experience, the change to JWT took effect after about an hour, and there was a period of time during that hour where both username/pass Auth and JWT Auth would fail.

0 Likes 0 ·
Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ Jeff Gabhart commented ·

Thanks for sharing your observation. I will convey this info to the engineering team.

1 Like 1 ·

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys