question

mark-harris12558 avatar image
mark-harris12558 asked danoreagan answered

The yellow presence has been removed

The yellow presence dot in Glip has been deactivated. I don't know when colleagues are online are offline. This is apparently due to a recent update of the Glip app. I think this is terrible as I have no idea if somebody is online or not. Can Glip be changed back to have the yellow presence dot?

presence
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

louise-baker9690 avatar image
louise-baker9690 answered louise-baker9690 commented
It has been 6 months and there hasn't been an update. Why is this? This makes Glip pretty unusable - I have no idea if someone is on PTO and I'm bothering them on their day off, or if they're actively working on work just not on Glip.
Additionally, it doesn't seem to auto-turn to green once you com eback to Glip. I talk to people actively that are Grey on glip, yet there they are typing.

The presence indicator is hardly correct.

Can we get an update?
3 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

megan-c avatar image megan-c commented ·
Yes!! Update please! :)
1 Like 1 ·
saadetswift16514 avatar image saadetswift16514 commented ·
Hey Louise, people are capable of making themselves always Invisible (grey), which might be why they're still grey even when typing/responding to you. I have many people who do that.

That could also be why they don't show up as green. Otherwise, it sounds like Support may need to look into why their presence isn't updating correctly
0 Likes 0 ·
louise-baker9690 avatar image louise-baker9690 commented ·
That is true, you are right. But its rendering the status presence useless. This "feature" is hardly working, and there are users who want it to be working again. It doesn't seem like the team understands the need.
0 Likes 0 ·
paul-pecullan avatar image
paul-pecullan answered saadetswift16514 commented
When will Glip have a useful status indicator again?
1 comment
1 |3000

saadetswift16514 avatar image saadetswift16514 commented ·
Hey Paul, the Product Team is still working on making the status indicator more computer-based. When I learn more, I'll share
0 Likes 0 ·
paul-pecullan avatar image
paul-pecullan answered
Saadet, Perhaps you could remind the product team that they neutered the status icon making it nearly unuseable for many people almost a year ago.  I realize that the updated feature set may be taking more time than anticipated but exact situation is the reason why the old working feature should not be removed before the replacement is ready.  
1 |3000

jenna-keller avatar image
jenna-keller answered
Yes, totally agree--this change is very negative and doesn't look like any signs of getting fixed anytime soon.  
1 |3000

gadgetfreak avatar image
gadgetfreak answered gadgetfreak commented
I found this thread and, as I am testing RC now, I can tell you this is a huge problem. There needs to be a distinction for someone who is inactive (on the computer - not on Glip itself) vs. someone who is offline (PTO, etc.). 
5 comments
1 |3000

gadgetfreak avatar image gadgetfreak commented ·
I use MS Teams now (including in our O365 subscription). It is very good for internal messaging and even meetings but getting external phone numbers (for meetings or VOIP) is terrible. I want ONE system for presence. I want coworkers to know if I am away from my desk, offline, on a phone call or in a meeting. So, although I can keep Teams (for no additional cost), the single solution is what I am hoping for. 
1 Like 1 ·
It's very silly this isn't regarded as a bigger issue by the Glip product team. It's very disappointing.
0 Likes 0 ·
mark-harris12558 avatar image mark-harris12558 commented ·
I am the person that started this thread some time ago.  I ended up moving our firm to Slack over this issue.  Obviously the folks at RingCentral do not use Glip very much because if they did they would know how important "presence" is.  Without "presence" instant messaging is not very helpful.   What was annoying about the whole thing was that they turned off presence and did not tell anybody initially.
0 Likes 0 ·
arthur-ng12296 avatar image arthur-ng12296 commented ·
Hi Louise,

This is Arthur, one of the PMs from the Glip team, Although I did not develop that particular feature I would love to chat more about it with you if you don't mind - please add me on Glip: Arthur.ng@ringcentral.com.

I might not have all the answers that you seek but I can certainly listen and see how we can do better to manage your expectations of using the presence feature. 

Thank you for your valuable feedback! :)
0 Likes 0 ·
gadgetfreak avatar image gadgetfreak commented ·
Any updates to this? My trial with RC is about to end and I am actually looking at Jive now. If Glip is useless and I have to use Teams anyway for group messaging, then why do I need RC? I may as well get a phone/meeting platform that doesn't force a useless "feature" down our throats.
0 Likes 0 ·
Jen Specland avatar image
Jen Specland answered louise-baker9690 commented
Another feature release and nothing addressing this issue. Very disappointing.
1 comment
1 |3000

I've been told by RC PMs that this won't be coming back at all. Disappointing, I agree. Grey is meaningless when it covers too wide a range of availability: is someone just away getting coffee or did they go away on PTO? Who really knows!
0 Likes 0 ·
saadetswift16514 avatar image
saadetswift16514 answered
Sorry, they can't do that at this time.
1 |3000

danoreagan avatar image
danoreagan answered

I just did a RingCentral rollout to 130 users and probably got 40 questions about why the Invisible status kept toggling for users. Most adopters were downright confused by this functionality because it seems to indicate "This person is not working" and and not just "this person isn't at their computer."

It would be really nice to have the amber "Away" status trigger after about 3-5 minutes of computer inactivity.

1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app