question

Donald King avatar image
Donald King asked Donald King commented

How can I make a call from my c# website to a phone?

We have a c# application built in .Net 4.5.2. We want to add a feature that lets the user click a phone number and be connected to that number through the browser. I have looked at both the WebRTC and the RingOut options and still have a few questions. Does RingOut need to work through the softphone? Can I log calls (start time, end time, comments, etc.) with both the RingOut and the WebRTC APIs? If I'm just calling out from the application will RingOut suffice?

getting started
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered Donald King commented

If you choose to implement your own web phone from scratch using the WebRTC, you need to implement a lot.

Here is an alternative with the RingCentral Embeddable. Simply add the code below to your page (e.g. the Default.aspx)

<span><a href="#" onclick="makeCall('13129822345')">+13129822345</a></span>
<iframe width="300" height="500" id="rc-widget" allow="microphone" src="https://ringcentral.github.io/ringcentral-embeddable/app.html">
</iframe>
<script>
    function makeCall(number) {
        document.querySelector("#rc-widget").contentWindow.postMessage({
                type: 'rc-adapter-new-call',
                phoneNumber: number,
                toCall: true,
                }, '*');
    }
</script>

5 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Donald King avatar image Donald King commented ·

Thank you so much this works perfectly. I can still log calls done this way correct?

0 Likes 0 ·
Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ Donald King commented ·

All calls are logged automatically by the system. All you need is to login your account and read the call-log

The RingCentral embeddable allows you do do much more than just making a call. E.g. you can implement event handlers to catch incoming call event and do inbound popup etc. Read the instructions from Github for details.

0 Likes 0 ·
Donald King avatar image Donald King Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

Hi I've been playing around with the demo you gave me and was wondering if there was a way to open the call in its own window. Ive tried using _blank and window.open but though they open the phone I'm having trouble getting the number to the phone and making the call. Is this something that is possible?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Donald King avatar image Donald King commented ·

with the i-frame method when i put in my appkey it completely breaks.

When I use the script method I get a notification on sign-in: You cannot use this device to make PSTN calls including Emergency Calls since no Digital Line is associated.

Then an Access Denied message

How do I connect a digital line to my app and also once that is done will multiple people be able to use this code to call at the same time?

0 Likes 0 ·

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys