News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
Can a virtual extension be tied to a physical phone?
Tags: hardware, extension
Nov 30, 2016 at 10:45am   •   8 replies  •  0 likes
lamberson

I am curious if I can add a virtual extension and tie it to a physical phone.

8 Answers
answered on May 23, 2020 at 3:09pm  
Now, i have a similar question. Can a virtual number be assigned to a desk phone, and have that assigned to an existing user?

answered on Mar 2, 2017 at 10:46am  
Right. But you could program as a presence key.

answered on Mar 2, 2017 at 10:54am  
It seems you are not allowed to connect a SIP device to a virtual extension as a Digital Line is required. Is that correct?

answered on Jul 29, 2020 at 7:56pm  
For my use case a separate physical phone is needed (I think). I'm trying to get around a cabling issues between a Polycom IP 7000 and a computer for VC. We want to just have an auto-answer SIP device (Snom PA1) with line out/in connected to a micro PC. I thought paging would work, but that is one-way audio. Tried using the display speakers, but had echo issues. I thought a virtual extension would work, but apparently not unless we use the softphone and some software to create a virtual sound card to cross the audio (or even a USB soundcard). All very messy... With a PBX this would be simple to do...

answered on Nov 30, 2016 at 11:26am  
You mean like a Presence key?

answered on Nov 30, 2016 at 11:35am  
Sorry for the confusion. This is a previous post I had made that explains the situation. This might make it a little more clear for what I am needing.

https://community.ringcentral.com/ringcentral/topics/how-many-devices-can-the-main-number-be-assigne...

I am told that a line can only be attached to 1 physical phone and 1 soft phone, not just two soft phones. However, I tested it on our system and seemed to work just fine on 2 soft phones. So I want to test to see if we can assign her main number to two soft phones (two separate laptops), then add a physical phone, assign a virtual extension to it, then create a call que and have all three devices ring simultaneously.

Thank you for your help and sorry if this sounds confusing. 

answered on Jul 29, 2020 at 7:47pm  
You could set the main number to ring a virtual extension, and have a Presence key appearance of the virtual extension.  Is that what you are looking for?

answered on Nov 30, 2016 at 11:17am  
I apologize, my question was kind of vague.

She wants to use a physical phone to answer incoming calls to the main number. But the main number is registered to too many devices. I was wondering if I could make a call que and assign a virtual extension to a physical phone and use that to answer incoming calls alongside the main number. Hope that makes sense.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us