question

ellis9315 avatar image
ellis9315 asked mary-community-moderator edited

Chrome browser, "Web Phone Unavailable", "Please grant RC permission to access audio" No option to grant appears?

Starting recently with the new RingCentral Chrome app, when I try to use the application for the first time on a new system I haven't used before, it's supposed to have a popup asking me to "allow microphone/audio" for this webpage.

This isn't happening sometimes and the Chrome softphone won't initiate Chrome to ask the question. The Chrome browser no longer has the option to set this manually in settings either.

Things I have tested this on, Windows 10 and Chrome OS (version 65). The same problem happens on both types of computers.

Using the hamburger menu on the RingCentral app and choosing settings to pick a different "Calling" option and then switching it back to "Browser", no effect. Going to the Audio tab it says, "The app does not have permission to use microphone" with the option to "Check Permission", this also has no effect and won't trigger the popup, only the following message,

On whatever web page I have open with the RingCentral Chrome app running, if I click the web pages "i" or "Secure" box, it doesn't have any settings to modify either.

Ideally, I wish there was a way to set this organization wide through G Suite, but I don't see an option for that either. Maybe someone could drop a hint at Google at how useful this feature would be as well.

I've tried logging out and back in, still no luck. Any suggestions/ideas?

This all started with the recent changes to your Chrome app.
permissions
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

luke2909 avatar image
luke2909 answered
Hi ELLIS,

Due to the upgrades we've made in the RingCentral for Google plugin, it is required to ask for your permission to use your computer's microphone again.
Most of the time it should simply ask the first time you open it after installing/updating, see image below.

If it does not prompt you to approve access to the microphone, you should be able to click the red banner that says "Web Phone Unavailable", and approve microphone access in the same type of popup.

If neither of those options work, you will have to go through the Chrome settings. You can see your microphone settings by navigating to chrome://settings/content/microphone?search=microphone in Chrome. If you see RingCentral for Google in the "Block" list, you will have to remove it by clicking the trash can icon to the right, then quit and reopen Google Chrome and the RingCentral for Google extension. When the extension opens you should be prompted for access to the microphone again, or you may have to click the red error message again.

There's more information on Google Chrome's microphone settings and troubleshooting tips at their Use your camera & microphone page. Let us know if following these steps helps you out!
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

David Drimmel avatar image
David Drimmel answered Alaa Al Jeldeh commented

I just did this but had a problem allowing access. To actually allow access I have to enlarge the app from it's original size in the corner and access the audio options and click "CHECK PERMISSIONS." It then prompted me to allow access to the microphone and all is good now.

1 comment
1 |3000

Alaa Al Jeldeh avatar image Alaa Al Jeldeh commented ·

Let me know if you have not solved it.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alaa Al Jeldeh avatar image
Alaa Al Jeldeh answered

From the setting of the extension allow only the ringcentral website, not all websites.

1 |3000

Alaa Al Jeldeh avatar image
Alaa Al Jeldeh answered

You should authorise google

1622220236619.png

1622220236619.png (31.7 KiB)
1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app