question

Patrick Foley avatar image
Patrick Foley asked Patrick Foley edited

What I happens when I send an SMS to a landline?

Howdy - I'm using the RingCentral API to automate some customer service functions (so each text is personal, not mass texting).

We're fairly confident of our data - the number should be a cell # more than 95% of the time ... but I'd like to fail gracefully if it's not.

As a test, I sent a text via iMessage to a landline (my local library), and Verizon sent me a text from a separate number telling me that my text didn't go through because it was a landline. Is there something similar for RingCentral (whether using the API or just a feature that can be turned on)?

In short, how does a RingCentral user know if they tried to text a landline? It's not super critical, but is there in fact a way I can detect that kind of failure using the API?

Thanks,
Patrick

sending sms
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered

I believe that with standard SMS, i.e when you send from the RingCentral app or RingCentral soft phone or the /sms API, the message will fail and if you read that message from the /message-store, you will just see the message status as "DeliveryFailed" with no further reason.

But if your phone number is an A2P (a.k.a High Volume) SMS number, the message will fail and if you read that message from the HV SMS message store /a2p-sms/messages/{messageId}, you will see the message status as "DeliveryFailed" with the error code SMS-UP-410 or SMS-UP-411 or SMS-CAR-400 or SMS-CAR-411. See the error description from this table.

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Patrick Foley avatar image
Patrick Foley answered Patrick Foley edited

Thanks, @Phong Vu - that's super helpful. My initial problem was solved with the simplest of examples, so I didn't even realize that /message-store exists ... but it makes perfect sense once you mention it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys