question

Mike Hendriksen avatar image
Mike Hendriksen asked mary-community-moderator edited

Glip desktop app opens and closes itself

My Glip desktop app started opening and closing as soon as I turned on my computer this morning. I have uninstalled and reinstalled but no change. Help please, I cannot use my computer without uninstalling it completely, it takes over my monitor intermittently.
softphonemessage
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Mike Hendriksen answered
Thanks for the info. I am just not using the desktop app for now. I am using app.glip.com in a Chrome browser until the app is fixed.
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

jared-grover avatar image
jared-grover answered
So Update 20.1.3 still hasn't fixed the auto closing issue... or is this just me?
1 |3000

Mike Hendriksen answered
I have not tried the update and RC has not updated my open case for the issue, so I'm guessing no if it's not working for you, it's probably not fixed yet.
1 |3000

daniel-holliday avatar image
daniel-holliday answered
I'm having the exact same issue with the latest version as of today
1 |3000

julian-smith avatar image
julian-smith answered
I never post on forums, but RingCentral support was not able to assist with this at all. After seeing this happen to countless users in my environment I figured out what the issue is. Comcast's DNS servers are the problem, they chew apart traffic from the Glip authentication portal for whatever reason. The authentication request starts then almost immediately fails, and the Glip app isn't programmed well enough to know what to do about it--so it just opens and closes endlessly.

If you change the affected user's DNS servers on their primary network adapter to anything OTHER than 75.75.75.75 / 75.75.76.76 (or their DHCP server that has Comcast DNS servers set to default) Glip works perfectly. This has fixed every single case I have seen to date. Also as a side note, some of them needed a reboot after the change, despite my attempts to flush DNS. Some of them also took 3-4 minutes to start processing requests after the DNS change.

I let RingCentral know, so hopefully they can do something about it since half of the nation is forced to use Comcast (and because most folks rightfully shouldn't need to know their way around changing network adapter settings).
1 |3000

Mike Hendriksen answered
 I do not have Comcast in my area, but may try the change anyways as there is still no help from RC.
1 |3000

julian-smith avatar image
julian-smith answered
There may be other ISP's that outsource their network device's default DNS servers to Comcast, I had one user on a different ISP but using those same DNS servers.

I really hope this helps! This issue is the worst.

Edit: there could be other public DNS providers that exhibit the same issues too. Forgot to add that. So far all I have seen is Comcast but I have no doubt that there could be others.
1 |3000

Mike Hendriksen answered
No problem.

Only 2 in my office so far, but it happened after an update from RC. Not sure why it only affects limited users, but hopefully the fix will come soon and have an explanation.
1 |3000

Mike Hendriksen answered
Thanks for the tip. I tried the executable and the shortcut from users, but still not working for me.
1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app