question

kim avatar image
kim asked kim published

Setup Custom or Holiday Hours : Advanced Rule

Advanced Rules can be set for Holidays, Vacations, Sick-days or any other situation where you will need the calls re-routed.  
This can be done for Company Wide or User Holiday Hours.  Here is a simple way to setup your Holiday Hours. 

Select the Specific Date Range, that way you don't have to remember to turn it off when Tuesday morning comes. :-) 

2 Choices:
1) Play Company Greeting: record a custom greeting about your Holiday Hours
2) Bypass greeting to go to extension: select your Message-Only / Announcement-Only Ext to route the calls to.  

or

Below is the finished product - you will be brought back to the main screen for adding rules

admin portalcall handling
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

sara-miller8135 avatar image
sara-miller8135 answered saadetswift16514 commented

Your instructions describe something that doesn't exist.  Under the "Define Call Handling", there are no options or choices.  It just gives "Select top level IVR menu or extension" and that is all.  It doesn't give an option to bypass the regular greeting.

8 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

saadetswift16514 avatar image saadetswift16514 commented ·
Hi Sara,

Sorry for the confusion. The above instructions are for a Single-Level IVR set up. While what you're describing is a Multi-Level IVR set up. It will only look a tad different. But for instance, you would either select an IVR menu or another extension where you can do what is mentioned in the instructions above on the extension you chose.
0 Likes 0 ·
J.B. Ferguson avatar image J.B. Ferguson commented ·
It most certainly does exist (see attached screen shot). Are you an administrator? Are you starting from Auto Receptionist | IVR Settings?

0 Likes 0 ·
sara-miller8135 avatar image sara-miller8135 commented ·
So when using a multi-level IVR, how do I tell it to bypass the regular greeting so it will run the holiday IVR's I set up?  Right now it won't let me validate them because they conflict with the regular greetings. 
0 Likes 0 ·
Hi Sara, since you have a Multi-Level IVR I would suggest contacting support so we can assist you live. We can look at your set up with you and troubleshoot what's going on :)
0 Likes 0 ·
I did submit a ticket, but no one has gotten back to me.  I submitted another ticket yesterday asking when they will reply to the first one.
0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
sara-miller8135 avatar image
sara-miller8135 answered saadetswift16514 commented
I just got off the phone with tech support and learned if you use multi-level IVR, the system is not capable of automatically bypassing the regular greeting to play a holiday greeting instead.  Someone needs to manually turn off the regular greeting and turn on the holiday one.  Then, manually switch them back again.  Definitely a feature that needs to be fixed. 
9 comments
1 |3000

As promised...here are the screen shots that will show you what I have been trying to explain. In the first image, you will define the Advanced Calling Rule. I called mine Holiday Rule.

In the next screen you will define which numbers you want to be affected by this rule. I used my main toll-free number (I redacted the number for this screen shot).

Finally...and this is the most important step, you will then tell the system which Top Level IVR menu you want this rule to apply to. I then set that to my Holiday Message x1008, which I recorded separately, (it gives callers the ability to leave a message after they hear the greeting that we are closed for the holiday).

The Holiday Messaging is a Message-Only extension. See the screen shot below.

Trust me...if you follow these steps you will see that nothing has to be turned off (i.e., your reference to turning off the "regular greeting") to be able to use a separate holiday greeting. It is set it and forget it. After I set it up in the beginning of the year, I never have to mess with turning anything on or off for holiday messaging.

1 Like 1 ·
I don't know who in support you spoke to however I use a multi-level IVR and with the Advanced Calling Rules I have set up for holidays, I have never had to turn off the regular greeting to go to the holiday greeting. I simply have the holiday Advanced Calling Rule turned on (I have to program the dates once a year but I include all the holidays we are closed in it at the beginning of the year) and it recognizes the date and time period and it play the holiday greeting (I make it generic and don't name the holiday...I just say that we are closed for the holiday. People know which holiday it is). I have done this for the past three years or so (since they have had the multi-level IVR as a feature.

Do you have an Advanced Calling Rule set up for your holidays?
0 Likes 0 ·
I am not talking about the Advanced Call Handling of the groups.  I am talking about the auto-receptionist IVR Menus. 
0 Likes 0 ·
Im not talking about any groups either. What you need to do to set up an advanced call rule for holidays. It will ask you what you want to do with the call. You tell it to go to the holiday greeting. What that occurs is under the events calling rule, lets say for December 25, the system will recognize the date and it will go to the location/extension the advanced calling rule tells it to go to and that greeting will be played on your main call-in number on your multi level IVR. I will prepare a few screenshots in just a moment and post them for you so you can understand what I am talking about. Believe me, it works for me every holiday and I have it set up as Im trying to explain to you.
0 Likes 0 ·
So all the callers have to leave their messages at that one extension and then someone has to go through, listen to all the messages, and forward them to the correct departments after the holiday? Instead of the callers being able to prompt to go to the correct departments to begin with and leave their messages in correct department's voice mail? 
0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
kyle-gruber8292 avatar image
kyle-gruber8292 answered saadetswift16514 commented
Is there any way to get this to just use the after-hours rules?  Basically all I want to do is say we're open from 9AM - 12PM on a given day, and once it hits 12:01PM, use the recording/menu we have set up for after-hours.  Currently it seems the only way to do this is to change the company operating hours, and then of course you have to remember to go back in and set it back to the normal hours.
5 comments
1 |3000

Hey Kyle, do you have Single or Multi-Level IVR? Or are you trying to accomplish this for a specific extension as opposed to the whole company?
0 Likes 0 ·
kyle-gruber8292 avatar image kyle-gruber8292 commented ·
We have a Single-Level IVR.
0 Likes 0 ·
So is this something that you want to have happen at all times or is this something that is going to happen for a specific date range?
0 Likes 0 ·
kyle-gruber8292 avatar image kyle-gruber8292 commented ·
A specific date range.  Essentially, in similar cloud phone systems, we were able to set time of operation exceptions.  Maybe we're letting everyone go home early on July 3rd at 1PM, so we want to set the hours of operation for that day (and that day only) 9AM - 1PM.  Maybe we're closed another day, usually you could do this by making the start/end time for that day identical (9AM - 9AM).

It may be helpful to know that we're a company that isn't open 24/7, but always offers after-hours support.  If we're closed on Christmas day, people should get the after-hours call menu.  If we close early on another day, people should get the after-hours call menu.
0 Likes 0 ·
Gotcha! So yeah, you would simply create the advanced rule for the specific hours that you are open (I would recommend uploading a Custom Greeting) and then create your normal out of office advance rule and, again, upload a custom greeting.

So for instance, on July 3rd I create an advanced rule set for 8am-12pm that states today our office hours are such and we will be closed for the holidays. Then I create a second advanced rule for July 3rd (after 12pm) through to July 5th (at 8am) when we re-open. The key is to create 2 rules. If you need someone to help walk you through it, don't hesitate to give us a call! 888-898-4591, option 3 :)
0 Likes 0 ·
billyoneal6827 avatar image
billyoneal6827 answered
We have close to 60 US offices setup in call queues and this would be really helpful to apply it across the board.  Unfortunately, there we have a handful of international offices that don't observe the same holidays.

Without a way to exclude them, we can't apply the advanced rule across the board.  We have to setup a "holiday schedule" for each office's call queue.  Maybe templates for call queues???
1 |3000

orefice avatar image
orefice answered
Please add a way to prioritize rules. We have a sales dept. that has different hours than our office. They're open until 7:30 each night while our office shuts down at 5. They also have Saturday hours. While they are open but the main office is closed, I have a separate IVR menu attached to a custom rule during those time frames. Every holiday that we are all closed, I have to go in and change the rules around. I would love to see a spot that we can click to say that the holiday rule would take priority over the normal sales dept. hours instead of me having to create a holiday rule and then also change the sales dept. rule each time. 
1 |3000

kim avatar image
kim answered
User Specific:  Use this feature for Vacations also. Save Specific Custom Voicemail Greeting for your vacation time without having to remember to "change" it back when you return. 

Under Take Messages, select Default/Customer and record your Custom Vacation Voicemail. 
1 |3000

Todd Hill avatar image
Todd Hill answered

And all of this is lies. It no longer works this way. Thanks for more time wasted, RingCentral. How is it you still get customers? Do the new guys you try to entreat with freebies and recommendations you never actually payout on allow you to add customers faster than the ones you are pissing off are leaving? Is that how you stay afloat?

1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app