question

bjsvec avatar image
bjsvec asked jordan-handy answered

mobile app dropping out occasionally?

I have been noticing for some time on almost every call through my mobile app (the new one) on WiFi that calls drop out for about 5 seconds at a time. I am pretty sure the other party still hears me, but I don't hear them and sometimes I hear the RingCentral progress tone that plays when an outbound call is trying to be established. This happens on my home and work and other Wifi networks so I don't think the issue is with the network. I also don't have this problem with other voip services I use or the desktop/glip app on my laptop.

I have kept the app up to date and it happened on my iPhone 6s as well as my new XS.

It is getting so bad I avoid using the mobile app for important calls. I am curious if anyone else is having this trouble.

I think my next troubleshooting step is to use the old mobile app for a while to see if it shows the same problem or not. If it does not then feel like the issue is with the newer Glip mobile app itself.

ringcentral appmobile
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

jessica-community-moderator avatar image
jessica-community-moderator answered saadetswift16514 commented
Hey Brandon, 

Sorry to hear this is happening! Keep us posted if you find any effective troubleshooting measures. i'll keep an eye out and let you know if anyone else is reporting this kind of experience. I would recommend to open a case with Support as well, just to see if they have any additional information :) 
3 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

bjsvec avatar image bjsvec commented ·
Thanks.  I do have an open case now and am working with a support team.  So far they have reproduced an issue having to do with AirPods causing short drops outs, but I am still working on finding the cause of my larger issue.
1 Like 1 ·
will12345 avatar image will12345 commented ·
Hey Brandon.

I'm having a similar issue with calls dropping while using the mobile app.  Were you able to find a resolution for your issue?
0 Likes 0 ·
saadetswift16514 avatar image saadetswift16514 commented ·
Hey Will, please open a Support Case so that the team can gather logs, etc.
0 Likes 0 ·
Mizashlee Pond avatar image
Mizashlee Pond answered saadetswift16514 commented
I am experiencing this exact same thing just as you described it, but I am using the latest mobile app on an Android phone (Android version 6.0.1). With me, it happens on every call, usually more than a few minutes into the call. Like you, I am pretty sure the other party still hears me, but I don't hear them. With me, not just sometimes, but in every case I hear the RingCentral progress tone that plays when an outbound call is trying to be established.

Also like you, it is so bad I avoid using the mobile app for important calls.

Brandon have you found any answers?

1 comment
1 |3000

saadetswift16514 avatar image saadetswift16514 commented ·
Hi Mizashlee, I would suggest opening a case so our Support team can look into it
0 Likes 0 ·
Mizashlee Pond avatar image
Mizashlee Pond answered will12345 commented
Hi, I now have a new Android phone with Android 8, and this is still happening to me on that phone as well as the older Android 6 phone. For example, in a 30 minute telephone conversation, it will usually drop out at least once. Most times its reconnects in about one minute, but sometimes it doesn't. I think, put am not positive, that the other person can hear me, although I can't hear therm.

When that happens (I think), and when I get disconnected for sure (I know), I get an error message at the top of the screen on the app that says something like, "Lost connection to server." I am positive that the connection problem is not related to loss of internet connection on my end, because I am using the app on both of those two Android phones in the office, with the router nearby, and any one or two other internet connections going in room are not interrupted. The "Lost connection to the server" message indicates to me that it is a problem on RingCentral's end.

I'll also mention that this happens on both of the Android phones regardless of whether the phone also has service with a carrier.

I haven't been using the desktop app much because my computer only had 4 GB ram and the app uses way too much memory. But as I recall, I sometimes had the same problem on the desktop app. But now I now have a new computer with 64 GB ram and a super-duper processor so I am going to use that when I can and see what happens.
1 comment
1 |3000

will12345 avatar image will12345 commented ·
Hey there Mizashlee,

Did you ever get this issue resolved?  I'm having a similar issue and could use some guidance.
0 Likes 0 ·
jason-simon15018 avatar image
jason-simon15018 answered
I have had the same issue - I turned Wifi off, but it still happens sometimes.  Galaxy S9.
1 |3000

terrasi avatar image
terrasi answered jason-simon15018 commented
I have the same issue as well.  Seems like it started about 6 months ago

2 comments
1 |3000

bjsvec avatar image bjsvec commented ·
Are you using Cisco Meraki wireless by chance?  I did manage to solve my particular issue after a few weeks of troubleshooting.  It turned out to be an issue around 802.11k and particular firmware issues on Merak interacting with iOS.  Ultimately, RingCentral and Cisco are pointing to a bug that Apple needs to fix.  

Of course, there are many reasons you could drop calls and hear the progress tone so this may not apply to your situation at all.

0 Likes 0 ·
jason-simon15018 avatar image jason-simon15018 commented ·
Unifi AC - so, I believe the answer is no.  Good thought.
0 Likes 0 ·
jordan-handy avatar image
jordan-handy answered
I experienced this issue as well.  Running an Android Samsung phone, on the latest OS available, the call would drop while using the "RC Phone" app.  I could hear the other party, but they could not hear me.

The call would drop for about 5 secs, and then reconnect.  RingOut (using your carrier voice signal) posed no issue. 

This solution, however, was not sustainable. 

** I instead switched to the "RingCentral" unified app (instead of RC Phone), and haven't experienced the issue, since.  I've been using it problem-free for about a month, now.
1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app