question

belsito9944 avatar image
belsito9944 asked doug-routledge15999 answered

Receptionist Cannot Park a Call if Second call comes in

We have polycom phones and all incoming calls ring a single receptionist extension. If she answers a call and is speaking with someone and another call comes in, the system will not allow her to park the call in one of our preset call park locations. Are we missing something?

call handling
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

belsito9944 avatar image
belsito9944 answered
The latter is exactly what is happening and I never thought it would need a line to make the transfer so that makes perfect sense!  I really do not want to start using the More-Park because then she will have to remember the number and then I will have to try and teach 50 people how to retrieve the parked call.  We are pretty set in our ways and have had only Park 1, 2 and 3 on three different phone systems the past 10-12 years.  Is there another workaround or can I somehow give her phone more than 2 incoming lines??
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

taylor9773 avatar image
taylor9773 answered
Is she using the More > Park option on the phone or parking it at a Park 1/ Park 2 kind of location?

If the latter, I believe that is treated like a transfer since it is a park extension. The phone places the call on hold, and uses its second line to establish the transfer. If that second line is occupied (by another incoming call) then it can't access it to do the transfer.

See if she can use the More > Park option in this situation (be sure to listen for the Park ID before hanging up). That would help establish the root cause here.
1 |3000

belsito9944 avatar image
belsito9944 answered
Each phone only has 2 lines even though when you first plug in it shows 12??  We have VVX411 Polycoms
1 |3000

taylor9773 avatar image
taylor9773 answered
Yes I also have a bunch of VVX410s and 411s. Don't confuse presence with lines. Lookup the KB article for 'Presence'.

Think of those as speed dials - they aren't lines that the phone can handle.
1 |3000

belsito9944 avatar image
belsito9944 answered saadetswift16514 commented
I have all phones set up with presence now and I did all the programming.  I remember I could not touch the first 2 presence keys as they were reserved for the "lines".  I just remember when I first plugged my phone in it said my name on all 12 presence keys because technically its a 12 line phone but apparently Ringcentral only gives each user 2 lines.
1 comment
1 |3000

saadetswift16514 avatar image saadetswift16514 commented ·
Hey BELSITO,

You can log into the web GUI of that phone and increase the lines from 2. If you need help with this, our Support Team can do a screen share and walk you through how to set it up :)
0 Likes 0 ·
belsito9944 avatar image
belsito9944 answered saadetswift16514 commented
Well I cannot access the polycom vvx411 ringcentral provided from the web using the ip address and I cannot access any admin features on the phone itself because admin isn't even a choice on the phone screens (I assume locked down by ringcentral).  Therefore, I need the help.
9 comments
1 |3000

Not a problem at all! You can either Open a Case or give us a call: 888-898-4591, Option 3

0 Likes 0 ·
belsito9944 avatar image belsito9944 commented ·
I called earlier and they said to do that I had to pay for an additional line and I would lose all presence features. So I said no.
0 Likes 0 ·
I think they must have misunderstood you. When increasing the Calls Per Line Key in the Polycom GUI, this doesn't change your pricing with RingCentral

Now, I'm not sure if this will solve your issue 100% but it will allow you to receive more calls on your phone and put them on hold.
0 Likes 0 ·
belsito9944 avatar image belsito9944 commented ·
Not sure anyone understands. I was told each phone has 2 incoming lines and that each phone can handle 7 calls on each line. The problem is when we try to park a call to our CONFIGURED park 1,2 or 3 it needs one of the two lines to transfer the Call to that park location. If she is on the call and another is ringing, the 2 lines are spoken for.
0 Likes 0 ·
taylor9773 avatar image taylor9773 commented ·
I called earlier and they said to do that I had to pay for an additional line and I would lose all presence features. So I said no.
This is also what I was told a while back (over a year) when inquiring about the same thing. I learned a long time ago that you can't exactly trust what anyone at RC tells you (I also had similar issues with the 'Executive Customer Care Team'....whatever that is...giving me the same incorrect information).

From what Saadet is telling me I'm going to contact our account rep to try and get something in writing to this effect. RC is happy to charge for anything they can in my view, and additional lines on your phone sounds like a prime target. If she is right, I'm interested.

Thanks Belsito for getting this conversation going.
0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
doug-routledge15999 avatar image
doug-routledge15999 answered
You may want to take a look at an attendant console.  Bridge Operator Console provides these features for users, and is designed for front desk works, making it superior to a desk phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUpdDzeB3zo

https://bit.ly/2MhxgnK

1 |3000

taylor9773 avatar image
taylor9773 answered
The phone only has two lines. RingCentral has really dropped the ball on this in my view as it should be a pretty basic feature (basically a true call queue that has callers wait in turn rather than blasting them all constantly to the phones).

A workaround might (I haven't tried this) be to send all calls to another extension instead of your receptionists phone. Then add permissions for her to grab calls from that line. She will see it ringing and can do what she does. However, it won't force her phone to accept a second call all the time - she has to grab them one by one.

Far from ideal, but I don't know of another solution here. If there is one I'd love to hear it because I gave up looking for a way to make this happen a long time ago.
1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app