Skip to main content

Hey, I have created a call queue on my admin portal and assigned a direct number to it. I just wanted to add all the inbound calls to this call queue. How can I do that using API’s or using admin portal? 

Said that, I just wanted to add incoming calls on my main extension to a call queue which have a direct number 838****** . What’s the way even using API’s. Besides that, how to remove the caller from the queue or how it will be removed? Need a brief description of how it’s working.

Need a quick help because our business can’t wait more.  

Here is how you can set the call routing from the admin portal

Any incoming call to the call queue direct number will reach the call queue. Any incoming call to your main company number or company numbers will be routed to the call queue you selected.

If you want to use APIs to handle the settings programmatically. You can use the company call handling APIs to handle. Check out these company call handling API reference

https://developers.ringcentral.com/api-reference/Call-Handling-Rules/listCompanyAnsweringRules

https://developers.ringcentral.com/api-reference/Call-Handling-Rules/createCompanyAnsweringRule

https://developers.ringcentral.com/api-reference/Call-Handling-Rules/readCompanyAnsweringRule

https://developers.ringcentral.com/api-reference/Call-Handling-Rules/updateCompanyAnsweringRule

I am not sure about your ask “Besides that, how to remove the caller from the queue or how it will be removed?”. Do you mean to exclude some callers based on their phone numbers? Please explain.

We receive a lot of calls daily. So when the call in ringing state, we wanted to check the caller number is TCPA compliant or not, so before picking up by any member of our organization we are setting every inbound call in a call queue and during that we are calling the API’s of Blacklist Alliance where we are checking the caller is TCPA compliant or not. If the caller is not then we are blocking the caller from our RingCentral platform before picking the call from our any agent. Else , the caller will be redirected to the number caller called initially. 

So, to achieve that, the way we find only is to have a call queue because we don’t want to answer any call without making a check that the caller number status is blacklisted(Non-compliant) or good(compliant). This is our goal to achieve and we are working on make.com where we are building a scenario and integrated RingCentral with make.com using RingCentral modules and different API’s.

Thanks for you response I think now you can answer more clear.

You can achieve that but in that case, you have to implement lots of extra code. But here is the logic

• Don’t give the call queue a direct number. Instead, create a user extension and assign that number to the extension. If you want to handle also incoming calls to the main company or company numbers the same way, route those incoming calls to the user extension rather than directly to the call queue.
  • Subscribe for the telephony session event notification to receive incoming calls to the user extension so you can detect incoming calls, check the caller number with whatever logic or compliances you have.
  • If the caller number is in your blacked list, drop the call using this API
  • If the caller is compliant, forward the call to the call queue using this API

Check out my latest blog about building you own voice call virtual assistant.

suppose if I create a user extension how many calls it can handle in 3 seconds ? suppose three callers make a call at the same second? That’s why making a queue.

How about implementing by this way :

• Have a queue with direct number let suppose 878****
  • As I receive the call on my company number, there will be an answering rule which will direct the inbound calls to this queue extension 878.In the queue that I have set, I have added only one member which is me the super admin and my extension
  • Then will use the telephony session event notification for the extension 878 as I will get the calls on that
  • After my logic, will forward the call to the company main call queue( because my company have a main call queue as well)

I’m glad you understand my scenario well. What would you suggest?

There is a limit (I think 10 simultaneous incoming calls) of forward calls from an IVR to an extension, meaning that those incoming calls to your company number(s) and routed to an extension cannot exceed the limit number. This limit is more than enough for most companies because incoming calls are quickly forwarded to the extension.

For extension call handling, since you don’t answer a call by that extension but you only use it to detect caller number then forward it or hang up the call, then you should be able to handle multiple incoming calls simultaneously. It will depend on how fast your app engine works to detect and forward an incoming call.

You’ll need an IVR which forwards incoming calls to that extension only if you expect that the caller would call your company number(s) and you want to detect and forward those call to the call queue. Otherwise,  having the extension with a direct phone number and handling incoming calls to that direct number is enough.

The solution in my blog is a difference approach and it gives you much more choices to apply even AI solution to block a call, forward a call or even talk to the caller before forwarding it to any call queue or to any extension.

This is the flow diagram which I am thinking to implement right now.

• Caller will call on main number or any company number
  • We will set a queue so every incoming call will be in queue. 
  • We will use the queue extensionID as a session event and extract the caller number
  • Then check the number of the caller if blacklisted then reject and block from our compnay
  • Else forward it to the company other queue where we have members to pick up the call.

Will this scenario work ? if yes then can you list the API’s that will be used with that

This is the flow diagram which I am thinking to implement right now.

No, you should not let incoming calls enter a call queue before you detect the caller id and decide to hangup or to forward the calls. The reason is that as soon as a call enters a call queue, the call queue will start handle the call (answer the call, play greeting etc.) and you should not intervene the call queue operation.

So anything else will work except changing the “Garbage queue” with a user extension so you are free to handle incoming calls.

Alright thanks for clarification. I will implement user extension then and will let you know here. Thanks

For the time, I’m not closing this and will be asking further regarding that if required soon.

Actually, I have a question. So by user extension, how we will redirect the caller to that extension? by using answering rules ?

Actually, I have a question. So by user extension, how we will redirect the caller to that extension? by using answering rules ?

See the screenshot I shared earlier. Choose the “A specific extension” option instead of the call queue. If you want to set by the extension call handling rules (which is static rules), then check the parameters of this call handling rules API