question

martinez12 avatar image
martinez12 asked jessica-community-moderator commented

Dial by Name Directory Sequence

Does anyone know of a way to have the dial by name directory in reverse order so that my boss' name can be read before his son's?

contacts
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

martinez12 avatar image
martinez12 answered danno147 commented
Hi. I appreciate your fast response. That would still put him last...his one son is Michael, and he is Mike.
1 comment
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

danno147 avatar image danno147 commented ·
You could change the way you spell the first name.  e.g., since you want Michael to be second choice do "Mixhael"  or anything that would make him appear alphabetically after "mik".
0 Likes 0 ·
robbenn-frenette138 avatar image
robbenn-frenette138 answered
Unfortunately, those are the only two options currently that RingCentral offers. 
1 |3000

nic517 avatar image
nic517 answered jessica-community-moderator commented
This doesnt seem to be done in alphabetical order. I have four Ashley's. if you have four people with the same first name. What does the system then use for sequence
1 comment
1 |3000

jessica-community-moderator avatar image jessica-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·
Hi Nic, 

If you have the list done in alphabetical order by first name, it will sort exclusively by first name and then within the first names sort by numerical order of extension :) 
0 Likes 0 ·
nic517 avatar image
nic517 answered jessica-community-moderator commented
That is incorrect. There are four Ashleys. The sort order when you call in and listen . Ashley # 1 - ext starts with 19, Ashley#2 = Ext starts with 44, Ashley # 3 - Ext starts with 42 and Ashley #4 - ext starts with 17
1 comment
1 |3000

jessica-community-moderator avatar image jessica-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·
Sorry to give you incorrect info, I did some initial testing and my results reflected the numerical categorization. Thanks for clarifying what results you were seeing-- I'll continue to research and see what I can find! 

EDIT: Alright, I got confirmation from a solutions engineer that there is not a set order-- it's in whatever order that is returned from the database. We're asking to find all Ashleys, and it returns in what ever order it finds them in. Not ideal, but our reality nonetheless :) 
0 Likes 0 ·
robbenn-frenette138 avatar image
robbenn-frenette138 answered
You can change the order to be First Name vs Last Name
1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app