News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
RingCentral Polycom not working. DHCP Failed message.
Tags: hardware
Oct 22, 2019 at 7:36am   •   6 replies  •  0 likes
john-pfanner

My router stopped working so I started using a regular switch to plug my RC phone into the modem. It now has a DHCP Failed error and "time/date out of sync" message. Along with the fact that it simply isn't working. No dial tone etc. I've power cycled everything multiple times. Power cycled the phone 3 times in a row. At this point I'm not sure what needs to be done.

6 Answers
answered on Oct 29, 2019 at 12:19pm  
A lot of modems are modem/router combinations. The modem brings the service in, the router handles all communication on the network and hands out the IP addresses. Your modem doesn't have the router function built-in, and will not handle IP addresses or your network traffic. Some computers are designed to work with this type of connection, which is why it may have been working for you. You will need a new router, or a modem/router combo.

answered on Oct 22, 2019 at 8:13am  
I'm not really sure.  I would contact RingCentral support for help with troubleshooting the phone configuration.

answered on Oct 22, 2019 at 7:49am  
Depends on the switch setup but typically, yes.  The point is, something needs to assign an IP address to the phone and it's requesting it but not getting an address back.  Either the modem is not configured for that or the switch is not passing the request (or the response) along.

answered on Oct 22, 2019 at 7:41am  
Does the modem provide DHCP?  Sounds like no IP address is getting assigned.  What happens if you plug the phone directly into the modem?  Note that most Polycom phones have a 2-port switch built in, so you could go from modem to phone, then from phone to PC or second device.

answered on Oct 22, 2019 at 7:52am  
Ok, so the modem is a netgear CM1000 and my computer hooked up fine and so it would appear that it is assigning an IP address to at least that. How can I go in and assign an IP to my phone or how would I know if my modem is configured for that?

answered on Oct 22, 2019 at 7:44am  
I'm not sure on the DHCP? Technically the phone is plugged directly into the modem via  the switch, correct? A switch doesn't have a separate IP right? Right now I got cable modem>switch>polycom phone (reason being is I have 3 other devices running thru the switch and the modem only has one outbound ethernet line. 

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us