Skip to main content
Question

Control caller id / from-number when using the CallOut API

• 8 August 2024
  • 3 replies

I am using the following CallOut API to initiate click-to-dial calls from our call center staff to customers:

https://developers.ringcentral.com/api-reference/Call-Control/createCallOutCallSession

Our call center staff are all calling from either the desktop, mobile, or browser apps, which unfortunately don’t register device ids.  I used the workaround from the following thread, which is scanning the call logs to find the last (dynamic) device id used by each user’s extension.

Now that I can initiate calls from a user’s device to a customer, the problem I’m having is that I can’t find anyway to control the caller-id / from-number that the customer sees is calling them.  It’s always showing up as the main company number.  The CallOut API seemingly only takes a device id in the “from” parameter, but no caller id.

Is there any way I can set the caller id number seen by the receiver (“to” number) when initiating calls from CallOut?

It’s not about the /call-out API. It’s the user extension outbound call settings.

Login your account admin portal, select the user and select the “Outbound Calls/Faxes” tab and change the settings as shown below:

Thank you for following up.

I wanted to try making outbound calls from our company’s 8000 number, instead of the company default 5128 number.

I found that by changing the “mobile app” number I could control which number the mobile app used for outbound calls.  However, changing that “mobile app” caller id setting also seemed to reset the mobile app’s dynamic device id, which would make it unusable for the CallOut API.

As I mentioned before, the purpose of this is to implement a click-to-dial button where I was hoping to initiate a call from our agent’s mobile app to a customer, where I change the agent’s outbound caller id number depending on which customer is being called.

I don’t believe that changing the caller id would lead to the dynamic device id changed. While I don’t know when exactly the device id of the mobile app and the desktop app gets changed, they are unchanged in my tests with the scenario you tried above and event logout and login the app, stop and restart the app etc.