question

Tony Knight avatar image
Tony Knight asked MATT HISLE commented

Unable to change PIN code for someone else.

In the link it explains how to change or set the PIN code for someone else's extension. It seems that Ring Central has changed the welcome email that is sent to a new user on new customer accounts, now they only get an option to set the password for the web portal and select a security question. RC has removed the field for setting and verifying the PIN code. As a Super Admin, if you try to set a PIN for a particular extension it only allows you to do this if you know the individuals password, I am able to click on the PIN tab and set/verify the PIN but the Save button is greyed out so it won't allow you to save it.

According to Partner Support this is an enhancement....

https://support.ringcentral.com/phone/ringcentral-phone-app/changing-resetting-ringcentral-account-PIN.html#admin-portal

voicemail
8 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Tony Knight avatar image Tony Knight commented ·

My point is that a new user is no longer given the option to set a PIN, they only get the option to set a password and their security question. So your response is not valid. If they were able to set a PIN then your suggestion works all the time. This is a new bug that RC has introduced to make things more complicated forcing a basic user who only wants to use their desk phone to log into their web portal to set a PIN.

0 Likes 0 ·
mary-community-moderator avatar image mary-community-moderator ♦♦ Tony Knight commented ·

Upon checking, there are no changes on the express setup through the email invitation. The screenshot below is what the express setup should have.

screen-shot-2022-04-01-at-115219-pm.png

0 Likes 0 ·
mary-community-moderator avatar image mary-community-moderator ♦♦ mary-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·

If you are having an issue with new users not getting the PIN setup, please submit a ticket with Tech Support so they can check the issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
Tony Knight avatar image Tony Knight commented ·

The screen shot you provided is for an existing customer however any new customer that was recently turned up does not get the same express setup screen. As previously mentioned they only get the password and security question prompts.

I have created a ticket with Tech Support and was told by level 3 that this is the new way and that new users will need to log into their individual web portal to set up their PIN. This sucks for a new user as they are most likely unfamiliar with RC's complicated web portal.

Here is a picture of the new express setup:

rc-express.png

0 Likes 0 ·
rc-express.png (136.2 KiB)
MATT HISLE avatar image MATT HISLE commented ·

I am trying to Change someone else's PIN as an Admin.

Using this page...https://support.ringcentral.com/phone/ringcentral-phone-app/changing-resetting-ringcentral-account-PIN.html#admin-portal

In item 4, it says "Go to User Details>Security". Unfortunately, there is no "Security" option shown on my User Details screen, either under General or Settings&Permissions.

Now what?

0 Likes 0 ·
tak-it1 avatar image tak-it1 MATT HISLE commented ·

Your user likely isn't activated at all (the red X next to their name will tell be indicative of this), or they have been sent the email but have not created credentials (shown by the grey arrow next to their extension). Only extensions that have been activated will show the security tab.

1 Like 1 ·
mary-community-moderator avatar image mary-community-moderator ♦♦ MATT HISLE commented ·

Hi Matt, can you send a screenshot of the available options?

0 Likes 0 ·
MATT HISLE avatar image MATT HISLE commented ·

This was the problem. The user had not performed their set up. They were asking me to set up the PIN for their VM for them. I was looking to set initial PINs for people, and the "Change Password" documentation said nothing about requiring a user to set up a password first before an admin could change it.

Most of our actual human users of this system have ignored the user setup process because they don't need the additional features offered. Their phone works, they can make and receive calls on it without going through what they believe is a complex and cumbersome process. So they don't do it. When they want to use VM they call me wanting me to set it up for them, as had been done with legacy systems.

This issue is connected to a larger structural problem I have been having with Ring Central, its exclusive focus on users. While this is great for widely distributed organizations, for entities attempting to replicate an existing legacy phone system in a physical building, focusing on the user rather than the phone creates problems. For example, we have phones in break rooms, conference rooms, labs, manufacturing floors, etc that are not dedicated to a single person, but rather are a resource to be used in that room. There are no "Users" per se for those locations. Because only certain features work once a User has been set up, we have been forced to create fake email accounts for each of those locations, then login to those emails, download yet another version of the app, and then configure that fake user. An option to be able to administer either a unique phone location or a unique user location would be much more helpful.

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

mary-community-moderator avatar image
mary-community-moderator answered

As long as the user extension has set up the password, PIN, and Security question, you will be able to change any information as an admin. Changing any of it will ask you to enter your Admin Password, which is the one you used to sign in as an Admin, not the extension's password. Can you please try to check again? The screenshot below is what you should see when you go to User Details > Security > Change Password.

screen-shot-2022-04-01-at-55633-am.png

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app