question

Mitchell Craver avatar image
Mitchell Craver asked Mitchell Craver answered

RingCentral Video meetings lock up Intel MacBook Air computers

We've been seeing that RingCentral Video meetings make Intel MacBook Air computers freeze and lock up after turning on video or sharing a screen. I started hearing reports from employees in my account last month. It hasn't gotten any better.

Has anyone else noticed this or seen this issue? The RC support teams close the tickets for my team about 5 seconds after the employee reports their video meeting isn't locking up their system after they reinstall the RC App. However, after reinstalling the app on their computer, the issue reappears after one or two meetings.

This issue does not affect any MacBook Air computers running on Apple's M1 chips.

ringcentral appvideo
14 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

mary-community-moderator avatar image mary-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Mitchell, I see the case is still open and currently waiting for Tech Support to be assigned. Someone will reach out to you within 24 hours.

1 Like 1 ·
Mitchell Craver avatar image Mitchell Craver mary-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·

If you need the other ticket number, please let me know.

0 Likes 0 ·
mary-community-moderator avatar image mary-community-moderator ♦♦ Mitchell Craver commented ·

Thank you! I see it in the system, too.

0 Likes 0 ·
Steve Beeman avatar image Steve Beeman commented ·

This is happening to me too. I setup a new Macbook Air M1 and install ring central. Test out a meeting and it just spins on the join meeting dialog. I've had luck that it eventually will work but I'm not sure the process to reproduce that. The computer will connect via the browser still, but that's not helpful.

0 Likes 0 ·
mary-community-moderator avatar image mary-community-moderator ♦♦ Steve Beeman commented ·

Hi Steve, can you please open a new ticket for your issue so that they will know that it is working intermittently?

0 Likes 0 ·
Mitchell Craver avatar image Mitchell Craver commented ·

We've had to resort to having users download and use Zoom to get around this problem. Has there been any movement on this?

0 Likes 0 ·
mary-community-moderator avatar image mary-community-moderator ♦♦ Mitchell Craver commented ·

Let me check with the Product Team.

0 Likes 0 ·

@Mitchell Craver, this is no longer a known issue. If you are still experiencing an issue, please let me know so I can gather your meeting details and forward them to Support for investigation. Information like Meeting IDs, client logs (/debug-save). Thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·
Steve Beeman avatar image Steve Beeman mary-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·

We are still experiencing as well. No movement on this issue or my previous ticket.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Show more comments

1 Answer

Mitchell Craver avatar image
Mitchell Craver answered

Just to provide an update. I worked with some great people from support to troubleshoot the issue with the debug log exports. Some of our users had HD Video turned on, Touch Up My Skin enabled, and didn't have the CPU optimization checkbox checked. With the Intel computers we have (two specifically have i3 processors), this really taxes the processor and seems to be what caused the issue. If they're on an i3 with a lot of applications open and then start a RC video meeting, it's kind of a recipe for disaster with the processor and the applications taking up all of the memory.

One of the users didn't have the latest update for RingCentral installed even after I asked them to make sure they were up-to-date.

When the users updated their RingCentral version, turned off all of the fun stuff (replace background, touch up my skin, and HD video), and enabled the CPU Optimization option, their issues were very minimal and did not have the problems they had before.

If you're still experiencing this issue, make sure you or your users are up-to-date with RingCentral, have them disable the fun stuff for Video, and check the box for CPU Optimization.

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app