question

Brad Gold avatar image
Brad Gold asked Phong Vu commented

Subscription Response time is slow

I am testing Ring Central API to determine if it is a good fit for our company.

I am getting around 6 second second response times for subscription notifications in the development environment. Is this normal? Or is it because I am located in Australia?

I am listening for: /restapi/v1.0/account/~/presence

When I change my status, or start a call using the RC Phone app, it takes about 6 seconds before the event is triggered. I have tried using PubNub and WebHooks and get the same result. The code that I have is just subscribing to the event, then logging to console when triggered. I am using this API for nodejs: require('@ringcentral/subscriptions').Subscriptions

subscriptionpresence
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered Phong Vu commented

Yes it is normal. I observed the same delay (around 6 secs as you stated) on production environment for user presence status change.

3 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Brad Gold avatar image Brad Gold commented ·

So if I want to have a screen pop up for a user when they answer the phone (e.g. detect call answered, and lookup caller to bring up details on screen), they must wait for at least 6 seconds. Is there another way to get this to happen faster through the API? I saw that the desktop app can open an executable on incoming call, but it would mean that each user would need to be set up with this and if we would like to do other status change detections in the future, we would still have the delay.

0 Likes 0 ·
Brad Gold avatar image Brad Gold commented ·

I found that /restapi/v1.0/account/~/telephony/sessions can deliver the information I require almost immediately. Do you know why there is a delay on the presence notifications?

0 Likes 0 ·
Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ Brad Gold commented ·

I did not know that you need the event for inbound popup purpose. Otherwise, I would already recommended to use the /telephony/sessions event notification for such use cases because it give more details, more events and must faster.

I don't know the exact reason why the presence has a delay but I guess that it is because of the aggregated user presence status, telephony status, DnD status etc.

1 Like 1 ·

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys