question

Frank Hinz avatar image
Frank Hinz asked Daniela Norkus answered

Database file is inaccessible error on launch?

We have recently run into an issue with our users receiving the error in the title. Happens on launch of RC Phone 22.4, on Windows 10 21H2. Usually occurs after after they have run updates that were mandated by our Security team, however the Security team claims nothing they pushed should be causing this. The app will launch with no issues if it is run as Administrator, however this isn't an option for a workaround in our environment. Full text of the error is as follows:

"Database file is inaccessible

Cannot get access to storage. Database file is inaccessible because it is encrypted or not a database. <ProgramName> will be closed. Please use correct encryption key or remove the database to resolve the issue."

Has anyone run into this before? If so, can you point me in the direction of the location of the database file the app is referring to so we can try granting the user full control of the directory and see if that works as a workaround?

errorssoftphone
5 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Wendy Salvatierra avatar image Wendy Salvatierra commented ·

Good morning,

I'm experiencing the same exact issue on a single computer in our environment.

I've checked and all permissions to the necessary locations are proper. Running as Admin does indeed work, as a temporary solution - but still have been unable to pinpoint an exact cause.

Any other updates on this?

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
Frank Hinz avatar image Frank Hinz Wendy Salvatierra commented ·

Out of both curiosity and necessity we tried installing the actual RingCentral App (rather than RC Phone) on one of our affected users' computers. It seems to work with no issues at this time, however we're still searching for an actual solution to the original issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
Gregory Yaschuk avatar image Gregory Yaschuk Wendy Salvatierra commented ·

Do you have some specific permissions on using OpenSSL library under non-admin user?

0 Likes 0 ·
Brett Hayes avatar image Brett Hayes commented ·

Is there an update anyone has on this issue, as if it is a MS security patch which caused this, then it will be impacting more PCs as they reboot. We have a ticket open but no real response to this issue from RC Support. If we could get info on the patch we could potentially prevent it from marching forward to not have all of the call agents down.

0 Likes 0 ·
Thi Tran avatar image Thi Tran commented ·

Experiencing the same issue, of course Ring Central Tech Support is saying they know nothing of this error and aren't sure how to fix this. I know that both the Ring Central desktop app, and Phone app have recently both been updated late November, of course this is when we started having issues with it.

Things we've tried that have not worked:

- Allowing app through the defender fire wall

- Uninstalling both RC and RC Phone apps and reinstalling

- Giving owner permissions to the local folder

Things we've tried but haven't really tested:

-Clearing out the %temp% folder of the user after reinstall >this may be the solution, but need to figure out the order of operations ie uninstall, reinstall, delete temp or which order it needs to go in order for it to work.

Things that DOES work

- running it as admin, which is not a possibility as our users only get user permissions in our Azure AD environment.

Maybe that helps point you in the right direction...but I've only been able to replicate the temp folder situation only once, but I think the answer may lay within that parameter.

0 Likes 0 ·
Gregory Yaschuk avatar image
Gregory Yaschuk answered saul-ortiz edited

%LOCALAPPDATA%\RingCentral\SoftPhone

6 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

mary-community-moderator avatar image mary-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
Wendy Salvatierra avatar image Wendy Salvatierra commented ·

We've given full permission to that location, the issue still occurs unless it's ran as admin, so this doesn't seem to be the fix.

0 Likes 0 ·
Frank Hinz avatar image Frank Hinz commented ·

Good to know, however we have tried both granting the user full control over both this and the Program Files (x86)\Ring Central folder, as well as deleting the orphaned files in both paths before reinstall, and the issue seemed to recur. Would you happen to know which file is the actual database file it is using? Thanks in advance!

0 Likes 0 ·
Gregory Yaschuk avatar image Gregory Yaschuk Frank Hinz commented ·

look at "appstorage.db"

1 Like 1 ·
Joe Cache avatar image Joe Cache Gregory Yaschuk commented ·

Is this on a local system, or a virtual box? a RDS server perhaps?

we ran into that with our RDS boxes, and had to use the .MSI installer and disable the update feature. This then created a local install for each user as they logged in, under their profile.

The downside is having to update when they release updates - but it doesn't take long.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Gregory Yaschuk avatar image
Gregory Yaschuk answered Gregory Yaschuk edited

1. Does somebody have some specific permissions on using OpenSSL library under non-admin user?

2. Does somebody try to remove appstorage.db and restart RC Phone App?

1 |3000

Tom Hickey avatar image
Tom Hickey answered Eric Pardo commented

I have also been getting this on a couple of computers. I have found that deleting the Users\Username\AppData\Local\RingCentral directory and re-installing RCPhone fixes it for a day or so, but then it happens again.

@Gregory Yaschuk I just fixed this issue this morning on a computer by just deleting the appstorage.db file from the same place. We had to re login but not reinstall RCPhone, so that's already a bit better.

I don't think we have any OpenSSL stuff going on, it's not effecting all our members of staff just a couple at the moment. I suspect that this one I fixed today will break again in a day or two, I guess we will find out.

This computer was running version 21.2.1.42167. I didn't think there is much point updating as @Frank Hinz has the same issue with 22.4

2 comments
1 |3000

Thi Tran avatar image Thi Tran commented ·

Tom, I just tried it myself, and it does indeed fix the issue, and the user will have to log back in, but it's better than it just sitting there and not being able to be used. We'll keep an eye on this and see how long it fixes it, and at least talk to RingCentral about this and try to get them to patch up this error.

0 Likes 0 ·
Eric Pardo avatar image Eric Pardo commented ·

I found 22.3 is somewhat stable, I don't think we have had any users in our environment have issues on it.

Deleting just the appstorage.db in the SoftPhone directory seems to do the trick if you're looking for the temp fix, but it will just come back.

-1 Like -1 ·
Alvaro Rivas avatar image
Alvaro Rivas answered Alvaro Rivas commented

Hi

We ran into this issue as well. We were forced to uninstall the ring central phone app and delete the appstorage.db and reinstall the phone.

This has been stable.

File location

C:\Users\youruser\AppData\Local\RingCentral\SoftPhone appstorage.db

2 comments
1 |3000

Gregory Yaschuk avatar image Gregory Yaschuk commented ·

Reinstall the phone is not necessary. Just drop appstorage.db

0 Likes 0 ·
Alvaro Rivas avatar image Alvaro Rivas Gregory Yaschuk commented ·

That was necessary for me.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniela Norkus avatar image
Daniela Norkus answered

We were also experiencing this issue, none of supports suggestions help or the above suggestions.

Our 2 affected users have š & â in their local profile path. We have raised this with support as something must have change in an app upgrade as these accounts were previously working

1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app