question

Denny Thurston avatar image
Denny Thurston asked Becky-Community_Manager commented

Do I seriously need to start using opt-in for sms?

I have had this account and phone number for 7 years now and use this as my personal and primary line to call and text my clients. I have been using it for years.. I don't use it as a big campaign, or send out hundreds or thousands of messages at once. My clients have already agreed to talking to me with my outbound agents. Transitioning to using an opt-in will kill my responses from my clients with them thinking its a bot talking to them and not me. I will leave RingCentral if I have to use Opt-in and opt-out for this personal business line that I have been using for 7 years. Is there a way around this or am I misunderstanding this whole process?

sms and text messaging
13 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

brette-freedle3650 avatar image brette-freedle3650 commented ·

I've searched back through my emails and was unable to locate any from RC that referenced the TCR requirement, I only learned about this pursuant to the issue with outbound SMS not currently working (which may or may not be related to the TCR?). My RC Rep and/or RC should have been bombarding me with warnings about this months ago. And while the current RC clarifications regarding what constitutes consent, etc., are appreciated, the guidance comes a bit late for many of us and was not adequately explained in the printed guidance online. In any event for those concerned because they don't currently have an EIN you can usually get one (almost always immediately) through the IRS Online EIN https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/apply-for-an-employer-identification-number-ein-online at no cost.

2 Likes 2 ·
Maria Wilder avatar image Maria Wilder commented ·

I"m in the same situation. I don't have an EIN number. I ported my number over so I can type my texts to communicate easier with clients. Do you have a resolution that's been given to uou on this?

0 Likes 0 ·
Mike Stowe avatar image Mike Stowe ♦♦ Maria Wilder commented ·

Unfortunately, RingCentral is currently unable to support SMS registration without an EIN due to SMS limitations and reporting requirements associated with the Sole Proprietorship registration process.

0 Likes 0 ·
Maria Wilder avatar image Maria Wilder Mike Stowe ♦♦ commented ·

So if I get an EIN number with the IRS - I just got one for $329. Got a Sole Proprietorship EIN number - I can register with that and once it's verified I can start receiving/sending texts again? ((Mike Stowe do you work for Ring Central?))

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Jason Talbot avatar image Jason Talbot commented ·

I rarely, if ever, text customers from my office line and certainly would never spam anyone. Do I still need to register? Yes, I already have an EIN. However, in the future, should I decide to do outbound chatbot campaigns I would be required to register at that point? Should I register my brand at least just so they have contact information?

0 Likes 0 ·
Maria Wilder avatar image Maria Wilder Jason Talbot commented ·

your text messaging stops completely on 3/31 without you registering is my understanding. I had to go get an EIN number now I wait on the IRS. Mine may stop bc it won't be completed in time. Such a mess.

0 Likes 0 ·
Becky-Community_Manager avatar image Becky-Community_Manager ♦♦ Maria Wilder commented ·

@Jason Talbot @Maria Wilder
All customers are encouraged to complete TCR registration by March 31, 2023, as the carriers may block SMS at any time with little or no notice. RingCentral will continue to advocate on behalf of customers who are in the TCR registration process to work to prevent any service disruption.

0 Likes 0 ·
Trista Ricketts avatar image Trista Ricketts commented ·

Hi Denny, I'm feeling your frustration. Small office here with less than 20 employees. We have patients and we only text them if they text us first. Now suddenly I have to opt them in? If they text me, I have to pay $20 a month to be able to reply to them? Nickel and diming us to death. I still don't understand if I have to Opt In text, or Opt Out text. We may just have to kill that feature.

0 Likes 0 ·
SOURCE Web Solutions avatar image SOURCE Web Solutions commented ·

With everyone here. Just found this out this morning. Must be a few bad actors who have ruined it for us all - This reeks of some kind of regulation/law with "good intentions" but will just wind up costing small business money for the same service we used to receive. Like many, I simply receive messages.. The thought of having more nickel and diming on top of the $476/year of taxes and "administrative" fees my small business pays just makes me sick. Never ends - And our options are limited.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

1 Answer

Phone Orders avatar image
Phone Orders answered Mike Stowe commented

Go to the 13:57 mark of this RingCentral TCR video https://vimeo.com/800943217/8d31b26599 -- It sounds like you do not need to use it

1 comment
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Mike Stowe avatar image Mike Stowe ♦♦ commented ·

Just to add a little context - opt-in (meaning consent to message the recipient) is required, but for conversational messages can be as simple as someone messaging you first, or requesting (verbally or in written form) to receive messages. You do not need written or logged consent for conversational messages, and you do not need to use opt-in keywords (where they text you a specific keyword to subscribe to messages from you).

Furthermore, all messages are treated as if they are being sent to an opted-in party. This means that there will be no difference in how you can use SMS or how your recipients receive messages from you. The only caveat here would be if there were spam or other complaints raised against you or your number regarding SMS.

0 Likes 0 ·
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app