question

Lee Steinebach avatar image
Lee Steinebach asked Lee Steinebach commented

What happens to incoming texts if SMS is disabled?

I am reading through the TCR requirements for SMS and see that without registration, SMS will be disabled. Honestly, I am not doing ANY outbound SMS with RC, as I only have it on to catch texts from customers who text the wrong number (having it sent to email and I respond with my regular cell text). So my feeling is to skip the TCR and let the SMS be disabled. But I would like to know what outside folks would see if they try to text my RC number AFTER SMS is disabled. Do they get the "this is a landline" notice, or do they just get nothing and not know that I didn't see it? ANy help would be appreciated. Thank you!

sms and text messaging
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Becky-Community_Manager avatar image
Becky-Community_Manager answered Lee Steinebach commented

Hey, @Lee Steinebach

Existing numbers likely will still be able to receive SMS but there is a risk inbound sms could also be disabled.

For new numbers (after Dec 1) no SMS cannot be enabled at all because we can’t only turn on inbound capabilities.

So existing numbers will likely still be able to receive but will not be able to send. New numbers will not be able to do either.

1 comment
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Lee Steinebach avatar image Lee Steinebach commented ·

Thanks for the response! My number has been with RC for several years, so it sounds like it would probably continue to work the way I need it to. Good to know! Was not looking forward to a whole lot of registration and configuration work for such minimal use.

0 Likes 0 ·
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app