question

Vadym Polishchuk avatar image
Vadym Polishchuk asked Phong Vu commented

How to deeplink to the conversation after sending SMS?

Hello,

I'm in the process of developing a mobile application with RingCentral integration, and I've encountered a challenge that I hope you can assist me with.

Within my application, I've successfully created an interface that permits users to send SMS messages. These messages are transmitted through the RingCentral API. My next goal is to extend this functionality by adding a deep link from my application to the RingCentral app. Ideally, upon sending an SMS message from my app, the user should be redirected to the corresponding conversation in the RingCentral app.

In my research, I came across this deep link schema: `/chat/r?groupid=<groupid>`, which seems to facilitate the exact redirection I desire. However, I am struggling to understand how to retrieve the required `groupid` variable.

To send an SMS, I'm already using the RingCentral API which provides me with a `conversationId`. I initially thought this ID would correspond to the `groupid`, but it appears that's not the case.

Could you kindly provide guidance on how to obtain the `groupid` for a conversation, or if there's an alternative method to achieve the same result? Any relevant documentation, sample code, or step-by-step instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

sms and text messagingsending sms
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered Phong Vu commented

First of all, SMS is standard and it is plain text. It does not support deep link.

When you send an SMS text message with some number in the message, if the number is long enough to be a phone number, most smart phones and SMS applications will guess that it's a phone number and let the receiver click the number to dial. No need to add the href="tel:..." URI scheme to the message. Similar for links, you can send the entire link such as "ringcentral.com" and the receiver can click on it as most SMS apps recognize it as a link. No need to send a hyperlink e.g. <a href="ringcentral.com">RingCentral</a> because all the text will be displayed. As far as I know, most SMS apps do not recognize custom URL scheme.

Secondly, "rcapp://chat/r?groupid=<chat id>" is RingCentral custom URL scheme. It would work with Web browser only (but currently it is not supported by the RC app). Just in case you still want to know where to get the "chat id", you can call these APIs to list all chats, conversations or teams in your RingCentral Team Messaging

https://developers.ringcentral.com/api-reference/Chats/listGlipChatsNew

https://developers.ringcentral.com/api-reference/Conversations/listGlipConversationsNew

https://developers.ringcentral.com/api-reference/Teams/listGlipTeamsNew

You will find the id in each record returned in the response.

Lastly, the conversationId of SMS which is returned from the SMS API is different from the id in Team Messaging. It is the conversation id of the SMS conversation, NOT the Team Messaging conversation.

4 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Vadym Polishchuk avatar image Vadym Polishchuk commented ·

Can I deeplink to the SMS conversation?

0 Likes 0 ·
Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ Vadym Polishchuk commented ·

Unfortunately, the current RC app does not support other URL schemes than the followings. (other URL schemes on the dev guide doc are outdated).

rcapp://r/dialer?number=<phone number>

rcapp://r/call?number=<phone number>

0 Likes 0 ·
Vadym Polishchuk avatar image Vadym Polishchuk Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

That's sad, but okay.

But I will still try to find the solution to this problem. When I open sms conversation in web application, the link is as follows: https://app.devtest.ringcentral.com/sms/<sms_conversation_id>

Is there any way to get this <sms_conversation_id>?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys