question

martin12345678 avatar image
martin12345678 asked michel5476 answered

Add external number (Virtual receptionist service) to Queue

I am looking at signing up for a virtual receptionist service to take calls when I am unable to instead of the call going to voicemail. I am in their trial period right now, but cannot seem to get it to work. Ideally, I want it to try me first, then if I don't pick up, it forwards the call to the external number which was assigned to me by the service.

I added a new user without a phone to my account and assigned that external number to them, then added that user to my queue. But the calls are not being sent to them when I don't pick up, it just tries me again.

call queues
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

michel5476 avatar image
michel5476 answered
HI Martin,  I would keep it simple and not setup a separate extension for the reception service.  Instead, you should have an extension already setup for your main phone number.  In that extension's call handling just add the new reception number in the list of how to handle your calls. (eg. first ring your desktop and mobile app, then your cell phone, then your virtual-reception-service)

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

martin12345678 avatar image
martin12345678 answered J.B. Ferguson commented
That does not seem to work. I have team members with extensions. The main number goes to auto-receptionist and if the caller doesn't enter an extension number for one of us, it goes to the call queue, which is me and the other team members currently. I want to put the external number in as a queue member in case none of us are available to pick up. I put the external number as my second phone number to ring if I don't answer in 3 rings, but that did not work.

1 comment
1 |3000

J.B. Ferguson avatar image J.B. Ferguson commented ·
Martin,

I can definitely help you with exactly what you are looking to accomplish. If you send me contact information to jferguson@datasoftware.net I will contact you.
0 Likes 0 ·
michel5476 avatar image
michel5476 answered
Hi Martin, if you haven't gotten this working yet - I would recommend you setup a new extension for the external number.  Add the new extension to your call queue.   Setup the extension to forward to the external number immediately (no message, etc.)
1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app