question

Chad Corey avatar image
Chad Corey asked Adam Bryant edited

Find a user using API?

Looking through the API reference but I don't see anything like this. One of the things we want to do with the API is things like:

Provision new users

Deprovision users

modify users information.

What I don't see is a way to find user's so you can get the internal user ID in order to do these things. Is that even possible? Are the things above even possible with the API?

rest api
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Anirban avatar image
Anirban answered Anirban edited

There is an API called Get Extension List which will list out all the users of different extensions.

Example : GET https://platform.devtest.ringcentral.com/restapi/v1.0/account/~/extension

will show all the details of users, ID, extension, email, status, permissions etc.

This will return all the information of all the users available along with their ID.

Now to get all the details of only one particular user, you can serarch using user ID.

Example: If a user has ID 123456789, you can get that user's info using that ID:

https://platform.devtest.ringcentral.com/restapi/v1.0/account/~/extension/123456789

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Chad Corey avatar image
Chad Corey answered

interesting I would not have gotten that idea from the documentation which makes it seem like you are getting extensions for a specific user since it requires the internal accountID. That is what is throwing me off I guess. Just throw ~ at everything it seems.

1 |3000

Chad Corey avatar image
Chad Corey answered

Are we sure this is how this works? If I search for myself, using my email, I get zero records. It only seems to want to work to get the account of the user the app used for authentication.

1 |3000

Carl Karawani avatar image
Carl Karawani answered

Hey @Chad Corey I was just wondering if you got any answer on this?

1 |3000

Adam Bryant avatar image
Adam Bryant answered Adam Bryant edited

@Carl Karawani I was able to achieve this recently with the Address Book API - Search Company Directory Entries.

https://platform.devtest.ringcentral.com/restapi/v1.0/account/~/directory/entries/search

I only confirmed it after adding additional users in my sandbox. Leaving off search terms returned all users and their info, including the internal id.

I just confirmed the same result with the Get Extension List API mentioned earlier in this thread. By only providing my internal id (or ~) and type=User, it retuned all my test users and their internal ids.

1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys