question

Craig Meagher avatar image
Craig Meagher asked jenn-community-moderator commented

Intercom use within a shared line

We have a customer who has a single shared line with 7 phones. They need two way communication (intercom) internally on their shared line. Is there anyway we can get internal shared line intercom functionality?

phone
7 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Anirban avatar image Anirban commented ·

Can you please check the below reference if this answer your question Faq no 13:

https://support.ringcentral.com/article/5940.html#faq13

0 Likes 0 ·
Craig Meagher avatar image Craig Meagher Anirban commented ·

Clicking on the link you provided brings me to a page that says "Article not found ".

0 Likes 0 ·
Anirban avatar image Anirban Craig Meagher commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
1606209328503.png (70.6 KiB)
Craig Meagher avatar image Craig Meagher Anirban commented ·

Ah okay, I have seen that before. However there should logically be a way to enable two way communication. Intercom only with with extensions even using DTMF. This site has 7 phones all on the same shared line group with 4 lines in that group. If you think about the way landline phones work if they pickup a phone on line 1. Then a second user picks up another phone selects the same line. That functions as a two way communication with both users being able to talk on that line similar to how intercom would work.

0 Likes 0 ·
Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

This is not a programming nor an app development issue. Let me move this to the Customers community so you can have better conversation.

0 Likes 0 ·
Craig Meagher avatar image Craig Meagher Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

Okay but this is a limitation of the system not being able to do this function. How would this not fall under programming or development? I was told by the tech support representative I spoke with on Friday to post here specifically.

0 Likes 0 ·
Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ Craig Meagher commented ·

If you said that you are trying to implement something, a piece of sw to handle this and that, then it is a programming question. In your question, you said "We have a customer who has a single shared line with 7 phones", it tells me that you are talking about using a desk phone or a RC soft phone etc. And that is not about programming. If this is about how to build something, please revise your question then I will move back to the Developers community.

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

Craig Meagher avatar image
Craig Meagher answered jenn-community-moderator commented

Okay well I need another customer on here to tell me how to setup a shared group to intercom or speak on a line. I have extension 1 as the shared group extension. There are 7 phones in this group with a total of 4 lines. If you think about the way landline phones work if they pickup a phone on line 1. Then a second user picks up another phone selects the same line. That functions as a two way communication with both users being able to talk on that line similar to how intercom would work. How can we setup two way communication amongst these phones? Intercom is based on the function calling out to a different extension. If this is a community question for other customers there must be a way to do this that another customer here knows how to do. I would be greatly appreciative of this if someone here could tell me how it can be done. According to all the tech support representatives I have spoken with says it cant be done. If this isn't for the development side then that means the capability must exist already. Any help with this would be so greatly appreciated.

1 comment
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

jenn-community-moderator avatar image jenn-community-moderator ♦ commented ·

HelloCraig, apologies! Our tech support is correct; this can't be done. I would highly appreciate it if you post this as an idea? Click HERE for our feature request portal. Thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app