question

Brandon Poindexter avatar image
Brandon Poindexter asked Brandon Poindexter commented

Reading detailed call log data for extension to extension calls - why does the caller name and extension data not match?

I am confused about some of the data being sent back by the API for a detailed call log for extension to extension calls. Here's what I am getting:

Extension 100 belongs to Joe, Extension 101 belong to Jane.

Joe dials Jane by dialing extension 101. This creates call log data that I'm pulling through the API.

The call has four legs. The first three are more or less understandable, but there is an odd anomaly on the final leg.

In the final leg, I'm reading the response from the API with leg.from.name and leg.from.extensionnumber. If the call was from Joe at ext 100, you'd expect to see leg.from.extensionnumber have 100 for a value and leg.from.name to have "Joe" for its value.

This is NOT what I'm seeing in the final leg of extension to extension calls. What I'm seeing on the final leg is leg.from.extensionnumber at 100, but I'm seeing leg.from.name showing "Jane". Jane does not own extension 100. I do not get this. At all. I want to understand what I'm missing about why this is, or if it shouldn't be this way, then I want to report it s a bug.

rest api
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered

There must be something between the call from 100 to 101. If it is a direct call from 100 to 101, you must get only ONE leg and it is a master leg. How did you make that call that you could see 4 legs?

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Brandon Poindexter answered Phong Vu commented

Nothing unusual. I called extend 101 from extension 100 by dialing 101 in the soft phone dial pad. The simple view call log, both on the admin web interface and the api response shows a single leg, but the detailed log is 4 legs both in web interface and in api response.

I can arrange screen caps of this if we can arrange a way to transfer them to you outside of a public forum, with redaction.

1 comment
1 |3000

Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

You can open a help support ticket and send them the details.

0 Likes 0 ·
Brandon Poindexter answered Phong Vu commented

Forgot to mention. We have automatic inbound and outbound recording turned on for our organization. Would that explain the multiple legged nature of the extension to extension calls?

1 comment
1 |3000

No, you should still have only 1 call leg. Is this your production account? What is the account id?

0 Likes 0 ·
Brandon Poindexter answered Brandon Poindexter commented

I’m not sure how to find my account id.

I did do a test by disabling automatic recording on both extensions and doing a call. Still had 4 legs.

I am seeing that outbound calls from an extension to any external non RingCentral number does generate a single leg call. It appears the four leg call is specific to an extension to extension call.

11 comments
1 |3000

If it's your production account, give me the app name and company name so I can try to check. If it's your sandbox account, give me the main company number.

It looks like you set the call handling & forwarding simultaneously for the extension 101 to ring external number etc.

0 Likes 0 ·
Brandon Poindexter avatar image Brandon Poindexter Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

RC Data Archiver is the app name.

Company Name is Hurley And Associates

0 Likes 0 ·
Brandon Poindexter avatar image Brandon Poindexter Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

App is in production btw.

0 Likes 0 ·
Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ Brandon Poindexter commented ·

There is no extension 100 and 101 in this account? What is the exact extension number you test on?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys