Skip to main content
Question

Tool to Read JSON files for Glip Compliance Export

• 8 February 2021
  • 10 replies

Regarding the Glip Compliance Export, can a tool be created on RingCentral to easily view and search the data in the files? This would allow customers to easily view the data and be able to generate a report for example.

This would be helpful for our team to review Glip exports more easily.

We would find this very useful as well. Navigating these JSON files can be challenging in larger environments.

Same. As a partner, we either have to advise clients to keep users in an active state after the employee leaves, in case messages are needed, or rely on the JSON dump of data. RingCentral should provide a tool to read the archives that they provide, and not rely on their clients to have programmers on staff to do this task.

Have you been able to review the Support Article? It has some links to tools that will convert the JSON to CSV for easier consumption, review and search of the message records.

One more question, I apologize. What exactly are you trying to accomplish or produce in the end? The use case here will help inform our efforts internally about how best to recommend you solve the problem at hand.

Would you be interested in a programmatic solution to this ? If so, what langauge/framework you are using and perhaps I can share a tutorial on how to export JSON to CSV in that.

This is not an answer to the question. These tools convert the files from JSON to CSV. While a CSV can be opened in Excel to order the conversations by column, it does not change the fact that we are forced to go from file to file, to reference IDs for the conversation and creator. Given this is the method RingCentral has chosen to perform their exports, RingCentral should be able to provide an application (without placing potentially sensitive data on the web) that allows for the reading of data by non-IT personnel. An HR manager is the target audience for this data, not a code monkey.

What RC needs to have is an external tool available to read/parse/sort/search - all of the archive files that get generated from an 'Archive' dump.

AND - it needs to be in a readable form that is Manager proof. By this I mean any ID10T IT manager can see the GUI and figure it out - so as to train their other staff.

I get request from department managers to see chats/calls between staff or clients - and right now the only way is to log in as one of those users - something that should not be!

The utility needs to:

- Read the archive files.
- Parse out and sort to a temp file to then display/be able to search.
- Show ALL fields, and allow for a custom number of fields to be shown - including shifting/sort order.
- Allow for the print/export of just THAT text, and not the JSON data - so that a human readable page/print can be created for HR, records, etc.

I'd be happy to Beta this... :)

I have added the Idea: https://ideas.ringcentral.com/ideas/CUSTCOM-I-4567 for a request that seems to fit what is requested here.

I'm working on developing this. Will share once completed and approved by RC.