question

Brendan Richman avatar image
Brendan Richman asked Scott Montgomery commented

Yealink T48S default password

I have a Yealink T48S provisioned with RC. Every time it boots I get the red warning triangle saying that the default admin password is being used. I can change the password on the web interface, but every time the phone reboots, the default password of 'admin' gets reapplied.

Besides being a security risk, is there anything I can do to change the admin password on the device and have it stick? I can't guarantee that the phone will never be rebooted.

hardwaresecurity
9 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

mary-community-moderator avatar image mary-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·

Hi @Brendan, is your phone manually provisioned?

0 Likes 0 ·
Brendan Richman avatar image Brendan Richman mary-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·

Hi @Mary, I'm new to this so not 100% sure what you mean, but it's a refurb phone I bought on ebay (not wanting to spend too much on this yet!), and provisioned with RC. I think it is manually provisioned.

0 Likes 0 ·
mary-community-moderator avatar image mary-community-moderator ♦♦ Brendan Richman commented ·

Does all the RingCentral features function on your phone?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Loretta Harris avatar image Loretta Harris commented ·

Has anyone figured out a solution for this issue? We have the same issue -- Yealink phones randomly reset the password (usually after a reboot) to the default Admin password. The issue is not the hardware.

0 Likes 0 ·
Scott Montgomery avatar image Scott Montgomery commented ·

I have the same issue with our Yealink T54W phones. No matter what the PW is set to, it reverts back to "admin" as the PW and gives the red warning triangle for "Default pwd is in use." Sometimes this happens on a power off/reboot, but it always happens within about a week to all of the phones that I brought to RC. These are phones that are supposed to be fully supported by RC. We have two Yealink T54W phones that are rented from RC and we have five of them that we purchased previously, not from RC. The two phones that we rent from RC DO NOT have this problem. The phones that we bought and had provisioned for RC ALL HAVE THIS PROBLEM. There is nothing that can be done to fix it. I did a reprovisioning on one of them 5 months ago and the problem remains. What does not make sense is that the two rented phones, which are the exact same Yealink model (T54W) do not have the problem - somehow the ones rented from RC are configured differently than the ones that we purchased outside of RC.

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

Jacob Brown avatar image
Jacob Brown answered Tim Beaumont commented

Default Password is admin - Unless you provision the phone it will display that "Error Message" not really an error just a warning as there's potential someone could sniff out your IP address and login to the GUI with the default password.

In order to change you need to login to the phone VIA it's IP address and then go here:

1615937576432.png
I don't really follow it either as the default user / password is also: admin / admin so either way changing the default password of the device doesn't make a difference.

After the phone has been provisioned that message does go away.

You can factory reset it by holding down the OK button for 5 seconds and confirming it.

I recently manually provisioned 1 - T48S and 2 - T46S for a client and functionality isn't as expected because there is no access to the Corporate Contacts (LDAP Directory). Trying to solution this but not having any luck.

1615937576432.png (53.8 KiB)
3 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Brendan Richman avatar image Brendan Richman commented ·

Thanks Jacob. Indeed the message does go away, however if I unplug the phone, plug it back in, the password is changed back to 'admin' and the red triangle comes back which poses a security risk.

0 Likes 0 ·
Joe Cache avatar image Joe Cache Brendan Richman commented ·

Depending on your account level - you could always remove the phone from the user, add it back as a 'other gen sip' phone - so that you get just the SIP credentials from RC, and load either an earlier or later firmware to the phone.

If you stick with the RC provisioning, it will always look to see what firmware you have and set it up/down accordingly. It's only with the GenSIP settings that it doesn't.

This means you also have to take out the 'provisioning server' entries - and set up the user account on the Account page manually.

I would say, factory reset - load latest firmware - apply GenSIP - verify voip - and then the dreaded power reset test.

Let me know if you need that screenshot for the Account page.

I'd say it might be cheaper to buy a new phone... but it's the adventure - I know that! :)

Have fun.

0 Likes 0 ·
Tim Beaumont avatar image Tim Beaumont Joe Cache commented ·

@Brendan Richman Did you ever get this sorted?

I have the same issue with Yealink T46s & T33 randomly reset to default (has happened multiple times in the last 2 years every phone at the same time).

0 Likes 0 ·
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app