question

tiago-montes12202 avatar image
tiago-montes12202 asked tiago-montes12202 commented

Call activity event: Inbound Caller ID international prefix wrong?

Hi,

While tracking call events via detailed presence subscriptions, we're observing unexpected international caller prefixes in calls directed towards our sandbox account numbers.

In particular, calling from my moble, in Portugal, with a +351 international dialling prefix, inbound call events are shown from "+1351...", where the remaining digits are indeed correct. It's as if RingCentral is prepending the +1 prefix to all external inbound caller IDs.

Maybe this is somehow related to how our sandbox account / users are setup?

Can anyone please point out what we're probably missing?

Thanks in advance.

caller id
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Tyler Liu avatar image
Tyler Liu answered
It's as if RingCentral is prepending the +1 prefix to all external inbound caller IDs.
If the behavior is consistent, do you think it is an issue for you?
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

tiago-montes12202 avatar image
tiago-montes12202 answered tiago-montes12202 commented
Tyler,

Thanks for your feedback. Under the assumption that it is indeed consistent -- too early to tell -- it won't be an issue, given that our product has ways of cleverly manipulating phone numbers, including multi-step regex based prefix dropping, replacement, and more.

I was just wondering, given our lack of experience with RingCentral, if we could have mis-configured something in our sandbox account. Also wondering if others might be experiencing the same, of course!

We have prospect customers in different locations around the world and I wonder how things will work for them, if they ever get to use our product with RingCentral integration. Again, this does not look like a show-stopper, but it does feel... Inconsistent, so to speak! :)

Would you be inclined to say this is a "sandbox setup" thing, or more of a "RingCentral works this way" thing?

Again, thanks.
2 comments
1 |3000

Tyler Liu avatar image Tyler Liu ♦ commented ·
I am unaware of any settings which could affect this behavior. 

I remember that if you can from one RingCentral number to another within the same account, the "from" number is an short internal number(normally 3-4 digits).

For configurations that you can try, please login  https://service.devtest.ringcentral.com  If there are any configurations that might affect this behavior, you should be able to find it there.

0 Likes 0 ·
tiago-montes12202 avatar image tiago-montes12202 commented ·
Tyler,

Thanks for the extra information: I just went through all (?) the available settings in the URL you suggested and found nothing that seemed relevant.

Regarding your note on the cases when the "from" number is a short internal number (extension) when both parties in a call, A and B, are within the same Account: we had noticed that behavior, partially. In particular:
  • We observe that, for an A to B call, on the events from B's subscription, both the "from" and the "to" numbers are short, internal extensions.
  • It is not true, however, on the events from A's subscription, where the "from" is shown as full PSTN RingCentral number but the "to" is still a short, internal extension.
  • We did not look at the SIP-level signalling though. These headers could provide some hint as to why this is the case.
We're already "translating" PSTN numbers to internal extensions whenever both parties in a call belong to the same account so, while that is a minor inconvenience, just like the "+1" prefix we're observing, that's not a show-stopper.

Again thanks for you feedback.
0 Likes 0 ·

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys