question

bruce-buttles2157 avatar image
bruce-buttles2157 asked ·

SMS API for sending text to customers

I am new to the RingCentral developer API so forgive me if this is too basic.
I want to use the RingCentral API to sent out-bound SMS to my customers. Rather than use (and pay for) a 3rd party like Twilio,  I am already a RingCentral customer.

In the docs, the examples are all of sending text messages within my company via RingCentral.
BUT, I need to send TXT from my company number to my customers.

Can I use the RingCentral API web service to sent SMS to customers - or - am I limited to only inside my company?

Thanks!
General Topic
1 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

brimestone1479 avatar image
brimestone1479 answered ·
I've already done this and it works fine. My application was to send an SMS to employee's personal number when there is an active Evacuation/Alarm. At the time, i have to time it to 1 SMS per second or the system will reject the task - This might have been fix, but not sure.

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

bruce-buttles2157 avatar image
bruce-buttles2157 answered ·
Awesome, thanks for the fast reply ... yes, I noticed in the docs that RingCentral lets you send 30 SMS/minute ... so about 1 every other second or there about.

So, you just used the REST/JSON API to send the SMS?

Also, what about in-bound SMS from customers - anyone do that?

benjamin-dean avatar image
benjamin-dean answered ·
You can easily use Subscriptions or Webhooks with Push Notifications to monitor inbound SMS. In fact, there is an " Instant Filter" type of 'SMS' which can be used so you can create an event consumer which only handles inbound (or outbound) SMS.

Anirban avatar image
Anirban answered ·

Yes, very much possible... you can send messages to your customers as well and you can monitor those messages using API providing message id & attachment id as well as using subscription

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.