Skip to main content

I cannot seem to be able to forward calls to an external number. I get the following message : “you cant forward calls to a number assigned to your account. To forward calls to another extension, please select the extension directly.”

Note : the external number I am trying to forward to has been scheduled to be ported into RingCentral next week.

Thanks

I think either 1 of 2 things is happening - most likely the latter:
1. Are you spoofing the number? - this means you’ve added it to the account to use as a “Substitute caller ID” for making outbound calls before it is ported.

2. If not the above, then this definitely is a quirk of normal porting process. If you go to Phone Numbers > Numbers Port-In you’ll see your porting order, and clicking on it will show you the numbers you are porting in. In other words, the numbers you are porting are already “assigned to your account” even though you can’t use them. The solution to something like this would have been to not submit a porting request on the admin portal and instead to have reached out to RC asking them to submit a manual porting request from the backend. 

Given that porting happens next week, it’s best to wait it out, instead of bothering with canceling your porting request and asking support to submit a manual one.