Skip to main content
Question

Fun with Text to Speech

• 23 July 2024
  • 1 reply

We utilize the text-to-speech engine for a couple of our IVRs, and generally it works quite well.
However, on one IVR I’m having a rough time getting it to say “dental” properly. I’ve tried all sorts of phonetics and just about the time I get close the tts engine spins into something completely different. 

Also, does it need to go so fast? I use three commas between every sentence just to put a normal amount of space between them. I’d think it would understand a period means to pause a sec, but no. 

I’d recommend you use something like 
https://www.narakeet.com/app/text-to-audio

sounds more natural than the TTS RC uses, unless they’ve made improvements to it.
The good thing about narakeet is that it’s free and no registration needed.

There is a limit on how many recordings you can make, but you can easily bypass it.
-Imagine you’ve decided to use narakeet but you’ve used up all free audio recordings you get to download.
-you can actually still make recordings, you just can’t download them
-to get unlimited downloads

1. press F12 to open DevTools
  2. Go to Network > Media
  3. use narakeet to generate text to speech audio as usual.

you’ll be able to download the mp3 from the DevTools section

Pic 1 before clicking on “Create Audio”

Pic2 after creating an audio I can download it from devtools regardless if I have a free download or not. Right click and open in new tab in order to do so.

You can use this trick with any TTS software and with any media (audio/video files)