Skip to main content
Question

Looking for Help Setting Up Intercom Feature With Yealink Phones

• 7 August 2024
  • 6 replies

I’m thinking it will help if I explain our use case and then ask the question:

• We’ve purchased RingCentral and Yealink phones that I’ve installed into a daycare facility our church is starting. I’ve installed a Yealink T33G in each classroom to be used solely as intercom devices (to and from the main office) and to make emergency calls to 911 if necessary. When I did the Ringcentral onboarding, they had me set each of those up as a common area phone with a limited extension. We have a Yealink T46U with an external keypad in the main office. That phone will make and receive calls as well as serve as the “switchboard” for the intercom system - paging classrooms individually and hopefully in groups if there are any announcements that need to be made. When the T46U in the main office pages a T33G in a classroom, I don’t want it to ring and the receiver need to be picked up (like is what happens when I try to use the Intercom Key in the admin panel for the T46U (see screenshot). Instead, we need it to broadcast or announce over the T33G in the classroom without anyone needing to pick up the receiver or do anything else to the phone. Would also like the person in the classroom with the T33G to be able to answer back to the person intercomming them from the T46U in the main office.
  • Our RingCentral sales rep and the engineer they had me talk with before purchasing assured me this use case was possible and support would help me get it setup once the equipment arrived, but when I reached out to Ringcentral last week with questions on how to program the T46U and external keypad for this, I was told that this isn’t really supported (but they seemed to say it could be done even though it wasn’t really supported - I honestly don’t understand the answer RingCentral support has given me on this one) and they can’t help me. So I’m reaching out to the community to see if anyone has any experience in this and can help.

Thank you so much!

Mike

Limited Extensions can’t be used for paging, so someone gave you bad information. Anyway, what you’d want to do instead is configure multicast paging.

My assumption:

• You want the T46U to have multiple page groups to different classrooms, and a Page All
  • The T33s would only need to Page All and not to each classroom

On each T33, do the following:

• Sign in via the GUI with your admin credentials
  • Directory → Multicast IP → Paging Barge (Disabled) → Ignore DND (Enabled)
  • Listening Address: 224.0.2.10:50002 (or any mcast network), Label: Page All, Cannel: 0
  • DSS Key → Select a Line Key → Type → Multicast Paging → Value + Label, same as above
  • This will place a page to all devices once configured on all phones (including the T46U)

On the T46U, do the following:

• Directory → Multicast IP → Paging Barge (Disabled) → Ignore DND (Enabled)
  • Listening Address: 224.0.2.10:50002 (or any mcast network), Label: Page All, Cannel: 0
  • Paging List: Index1: Paging Address: 224.0.2.10:50003, Label: Classroom 1
  • Index 2: Paging Address: 224.0.2.10:50004, Label: Classroom 2
  • Etc
  • DSS Key - Select a Line Key → Type → Paging List → Label: Classroom Paging
  • You can scroll through the the list to page each classroom (max of 31 rooms)

Thank you tak-it1. I’ll give that a try when I’m back in the building with the equipment and able to dig back into the phone system (probably tomorrow). Thanks again!

I ended going about this a little differently. If anyone else is interested… In the Ringcentral admin app, I went into Phone System, Groups, Paging Only. In there I created a new Paging Only group for each paging variable we wanted (one for each classroom, one for all the classrooms on each floor, and one for  all classrooms). For each I set the limited extensions classroom phone(s) I wanted paged for that group and which user phones were authorized to page each group.  I then went into the admin for the T46U phone, went to DSS Key and Ext Key, and set each key with a custom key code to page to the corresponding paging group. Tested and everything is working as I was hoping. See the attached screenshots for a visual. 

Oh beauty, yeah that would be the way I'd suggest it as well but I didn't think Limited Extensions could be used in Paging Groups. TIL

I ended going about this a little differently. If anyone else is interested… In the Ringcentral admin app, I went into Phone System, Groups, Paging Only. In there I created a new Paging Only group for each paging variable we wanted (one for each classroom, one for all the classrooms on each floor, and one for  all classrooms). For each I set the limited extensions classroom phone(s) I wanted paged for that group and which user phones were authorized to page each group.  I then went into the admin for the T46U phone, went to DSS Key and Ext Key, and set each key with a custom key code to page to the corresponding paging group. Tested and everything is working as I was hoping. See the attached screenshots for a visual. 

Looks great! I appreciate you sharing this helpful work-around! I'm confident it will benefit other members looking for the same solution. Thank you @MikeCamWV 😍

@MikeCamWV YES! Thanks so much for sharing this!