Skip to main content

Good Morning,

As my subject states, I am seeing the words "virtual extension" but I can't locate how to actually set-up a Virtual Extension. This is my scenario:

We have a Billing Dept. with 5 Team Members and these 5 Team Members take turns answering the transferred calls. Currently, I have it set-up with PRESENCE and RING / ANSWER the Extensions each is monitoring. But, we transfer to a User's Extension: Example: 108. Extension 108 is displayed on the other 4 Team Members desk phone // desktop App. However, the problem lies when you actually need to speak to the person assigned to Ext. 108 one of the other 4 may answer.

If there is such an extension as "virtual" to me that means it is not assigned to a specific User and that Extension Number can be placed on each Team Member's desk phone // desktop App.

Is this truly available? If so, can it be used in my scenario explained above, and how would I configure it within RingCentral? This WOULD NOT BE a Message Only or Announcement Only extension, it has to be answered by a Team Member within our Billing Dept.

Thank you, everyone and I look forward to clarification/response.

Wendy

Hello Wendy,

Virtual extension is an extension without an assigned phone. This can be assigned to call queue groups as a member.

Please check this KB article for the process: https://support.ringcentral.com/article/Add-User-Extensions-without-Phones-RingCentral.html

You can configure Unassigned Extensions from your online service portal.

Whenever you select Ext. with no device assigned. option there you will get the option to configure a user and device with that extension.